You are here
133 Bd Davout
Paris cedex 20, 75980
Membership Number :20694
Directrice de Recherche, Institut National d'Études Démographiques (INED)
Field of study: Demography, Medical/ Life Science, Public Health/ Epidemiology
Specialization: Ageing, Mortality, Health, and Longevity
Regional focus: United States and Canada, Central and Eastern Europe, Western Europe
Doctorate (Ph.D, MD), Medical/Life Science, Université Paris 6 Pierre et Marie Curie, 1980
- - French
- - English
France Meslé is a physician and demographer, Directrice de recherche at INED (National Institute for Demographic Studies in Paris). Her researches are mainly devoted to mortality and causes of death, especially long-term trends in causes of death, health crisis in Eastern Europe, and trends in mortality at old ages. She is principal investigator of two international research projects on Divergence in mortality and causes of death.
She headed INED Research Unit “Mortality, Health, Epidemiology” (2003-2008). She was Editor of Population (2013) and of the European Journal for Population (2001-2005) and in charge of INED web site (1997-2000).
She was member of the IUSSP panel on “Emerging health threats” (2000-2004) and organised a Seminar in Ouagadougou on “HIV, emergent infection and demographic changes”. She was Convener of the theme “Mortality, health, longevity” for the Busan IUSSP Conference.
- Meslé France, Vallin Jacques . 2012. Mortality and causes of death in 20th century Ukraine. Dordrecht Heidelberg London New York, Springer, 279 p. (Demographic Research Monograph).
- Meslé France, Toulemon Laurent, Véron Jacques (dir.). 2011. Dictionnaire de démographie et des sciences de la population. Armand Colin, 528 p.
- Meslé France, Vallin Jacques. 2011. Historical trends in mortality. In: Rogers Richard G., Crimmins Eileen M. (ed.), International Handbook of Adult Mortality Dordrecht Heidelberg London New York, Springer, p. 9-47.
- Meslé France, Vallin Jacques, 2006. Diverging trends in female old-age mortality: the United States and the Netherlands versus France and Japan, Population and Development Review, vol. 32, n° 1, p. 123-145.
- Meslé France, 2006. Medical Causes of Death, in : Graziella Caselli, Guillaume Wunsch and Jacques Vallin (éd.), Demography: Analysis and synthesis.A Treatise in Population Studies. Vol II, p. 29-44. – Amsterdam, Boston, Elsevier/Academic Press, xx + 465 p.
IUSSP Secretary General and Treasurer (2014-2017)
IUSSP: member of the Committee on “Emerging health threats” (2000-2004).
Council of Europe: member of an expert group in charge of demographic projections for the European population (1991-1993), consultant for the group of specialists on Trends in mortality and differential mortality (1998-2000).
Member of ONED (Observatoire national de l’enfance en danger) Scientific Council (2004-2008).
Member of the Scientific Council of the databasis for the French network of cancer registers (FRANCIM) (2005-2010).
Member of the Haut Comité d’étude et d’information sur l’alcoolisme, 1983-1986.
ANR/DFG project "From disparities in mortality trends to future health challenges". Coordinator (2013-2015)
AXA project "Mortality Divergence and Causes of Death". Principal investigator (2013-2015)
ANR/DFG project “European Divergence and Convergence in Causes of Death” . Coordinator (2008-2010)
INTAS project "Expectation of life and causes of death in different Republics of the ex-USSR: long term trends and recent changes" / Coordinator (2000-2003)
- - European Association for Population Studies (EAPS)
- - Population Association of America (PAA)