|International Population Conference|
Call for session suggestions
The IUSSP Council is seeking suggestions from IUSSP members for sessions to appear in the Call for Papers for the 28th International Population Conference, in Cape Town, South Africa (2017). To participate in shaping the scientific programme of the Conference, please submit your suggestions online by filling in the online form. - Deadline for session proposals: 31 October 2014
Call for new Panel proposals
The IUSSP Council decided to set up a second call for new Panel proposals, with a focus on nine priority topics. Selected Panels will begin their activities in 2015. - Deadline for submissions: 15 October 2014.
(Read the call for new Panel proposals)
| Membership News|
|New membership renewal options|
Council has taken two measures to encourage members to maintain their membership in between conferences: 1) provide a small incentive for members to make multiple year payments; 2) offer a reduced Conference registration rate to members who maintain their IUSSP membership between International Population Conferences. (Read more)
|IUSSP members can now pay UAPS dues|
To help the Union for African Population Studies (UAPS) collect their membership dues, the IUSSP has set up an option for IUSSP members to pay membership dues to UAPS – or even join UAPS – when joining or renewing their IUSSP membership. (Read more)
Call for candidates
The International Social Science Council (ISSC) has requested its member organizations (which include the IUSSP) to nominate at least two candidates to serve on the Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) for the 2016 World Social Science Report (WSSR) on “Inequality and Social Justice”. - Deadline: 26 September 2014
|IUSSP Laureate Award|
|2014 Laureate ceremony|
IUSSP President, Anastasia Gage presented the 2014 IUSSP Laureate to Thérèse Locoh during a special session at the European Population Conference in Budapest. The special session rich in emotion focused on gender and Africa, two scientific subjects especially dear to Thérèse Locoh, with presentations by Anastasia Gage and Armelle Andro.
|2015 Laureate nominations |
Would you like one of your colleagues to be honoured for their decisive contribution to the advancement of demography and population research? Do not hesitate to round up support and propose a nomination for the 2015 IUSSP Laureate award. The letter of nomination and all supporting documents should be sent to the IUSSP Secretariat by 15 October 2014.
|IUSSP Seminars and Workshops|
| Demographic differential vulnerability to natural disasters|
The IUSSP seminar on Demographic differential vulnerability to natural disasters, held in Kao Lak, Thailand 23-25 April 2014 is the second seminar organized by the IUSSP Scientific Panel on Climate Change. It was hosted jointly by the College of Population Studies, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, and the Wittgenstein Centre for Demography and Human Capital, Vienna.
(Read more and access report, papers and videos)
| Decision-making regarding abortion|
The IUSSP seminar on Decision-making regarding abortion-determinants and consequences, held in Nanyuki, Kenya, 3-5 June, 2014, was organized by the IUSSP Scientific Panel on Abortion in collaboration with the Population Council, Nairobi. The papers present results from new studies based on both qualitative and quantitative data, propose new approaches and assess the advantages of existing methodologies, with the goal of guiding future work in this area.
(Read more and access report and papers)
|Regional Population Conferences |
EAPS and ALAP tell us about their Conferences.
2014 European Population Conference
The 2014 European Population Conference took place in Budapest, Hungary from 25 to 28 June 2014, organized by the European Association for Population Studies (EAPS) and the Hungarian Demographic Research Institute (HDRI). The special theme of the conference was “Transitions: opportunities and threats” .
2014 ALAP Conference
The Latin American Population Association (ALAP) organized the sixth Congress in Lima, Peru from 12 to 15 August 2014 and commemorated 10 years of existence. The congress’s central theme was Population dynamics and sustainable development with equity inspired by the current moment of reflections and evaluations of the ICPD after 20 years of the Plan of Action implementation.
|Calls for Papers|
|Other calls for papers|
- 2015 Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America, San Diego, United States, 30 April-2 May 2015. - Deadline for submission: 26 September 2014
- International Seminar on Building an evidence base for active ageing policies: Active Ageing Index and its potential, organized jointly by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) and the European Commission’s Directorate General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion (DG EMPL), Brussels, Belgium 16–17 April 2015. - Deadline for submission: 6 October 2014
- Third Asian Population Association Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 27-30 July 2015 - Deadline for submissions extended: 15 October 2014
- Cohort studies conference 2015: the value of cohort studies for social investigation, London, United Kingdom, 16 March 2015. - Deadline for submission: 10 November 2014
- Call for Dissertation Manuscripts: African Dissertation Series Vol 2 (African Population Studies). - Deadline for submission: 30 December 2014
- Workshop on Changing patterns of mortality and morbidity: age, time, cause- and cohort-perspectives, organized by the EAPS Health, Morbidity and Mortality Working Group, Prague, Czech Republic 16 - 18 September 2015. - Deadline for submission: 31 March 2015
|IUSSP calls for applications|
- Francophone training meeting on Demographic analysis for decision making. Trends and inequalities in mortality and fertility in Francophone Africa – UNFPA/IUSSP tools for demographic estimation – Deadline for applications: 30 September 2014
- International Advanced Studies in Demography (IDEM) winter semester 2014/15 courses at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR) in Rostock, Germany. Deadline for applications: 10 October 2014
- Regional Training Workshop on Monitoring and evaluation of population, health and nutrition programs, Bangkok, Thailand. Deadline for applications: 24 October 2014
|Special issues in peer-reviewed journals |
(based on IUSSP seminars)
- Special Issue on Population and climate: research innovations and bridges to policy, in Population and Environment, Volume 35, Issue 3, March 2014.
- Special issue on First union patterns around the world, Andrew J. Cherlin, ed., in Population Research and Policy Review, Volume 33, Issue 2, April 2014.
| Job Opportunities|
- Job opening in Population Research at the Centro de Prospectiva Estratégica (CEPROEC) Instituto de Altos Estudios Nacionales (IAEN), Quito, Ecuador. - Deadline for applications: 30 September 2014
- Assistant Professor. University of Texas at San Antonio. - Deadline for applications: 1 October 2014
- Assistant Professor. University of California, Berkeley, Department of Demography. - Deadline for Applications: 31 October 2014
Research grants and post-docs
- WZB-ISSC Global Fellowship at the Berlin Social Science Center (WZB). - Deadline for applications: 30 September 2014
- Post-doc on the project "Understanding the Micro and Macro Foundations of Trends and Inequalities in Global Health". Dondena Centre for Research on Social Dynamics at Università Bocconi in Milan, Italy - Deadline for applications: 7 October 2014
- Earth Institute Postdoctoral Fellowships. - Deadline for applications: 31 October 2014
|Forthcoming IUSSP seminars|
- Demography and the Post-2015 data revolution, Paris, France, 9-10 October 2014
- Early-life determinants of late-life employment, ill health and early death, Lund, Sweden, 20-21 October 2014
- Promoting postpartum and post-abortion family planning: challenges and opportunities, Cochin, India, 11-13 November 2014
- Separation, divorce, repartnering and remarriage around the world, Montreal, Canada, 4-6 May 2015
|Other forthcoming conferences|
- Population Europe Event: The Stranger Among Us. Immigration Policies and Social Cohesion in Europe, Rome, Italy, 30 October 2014
- Chaire Quetelet 2014 – Fertility, childlessness and the family: A pluridisciplinary approach, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, 5-7 November 2014
- International Conference on New Measures of Age and Ageing, Vienna, Austria, 3-5 December 2014
- The ACSS Second Conference: Questioning Social Inequality and Difference in the Arab Region, Beirut, Lebanon, 13-15 March 2015
- 2015 Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America, San Diego, United States, 30 April-2 May 2015 –
- Third Asian Population Association Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 27-30 July 2015
|Submit your news and announcements|
We need you to share news from your institution and region so that we can keep all IUSSP members informed about recent or forthcoming events and opportunities in the population field. IUSSP members are welcome to submit information on conferences, job openings, post-doctoral positions, and research grants for inclusion in the newsletter and IUSSP website. Please send the information and any photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to include important dates for application deadlines. Information should be sent by email or in a Word document so that it can be edited. We look forward to hearing from you soon.