|Demography, Demographers and the Data Revolution|
In the aftermath of the Expert Meeting on Demography and the Post-2015 Data Revolution held in Paris in October 2014, the IUSSP has engaged in a series of activities and meetings to involve demographers in the Data Revolution. For those interested in learning more, the IUSSP has organized a session at the PAA Annual Meeting in San Diego, on 1 May at 2:45 pm.
|IUSSP Laureate Award|
|2015 Laureate – Cheikh Mbacké|
Cheikh Mbacké has been selected by the IUSSP Council to be the 2015 IUSSP Laureate. The Laureate Award Ceremony will take place at the PAA Annual Meeting in San Diego (CA), United States, on Wednesday 29 April at 6:30 pm.
|Nine New IUSSP Panels|
The IUSSP Council created nine new Panels in February 2015:
● Big Data and Population Processes
● Innovations for Strengthening Civil Registration and Vital Statistical Systems
● Lifespan Extension with Varying Cause-of-Death Trajectories
● Microsimulation and Agent-based Modeling in Demography
● Migration, Climate and Health
● Population and Development in Small Island Developing States
● Subjective Well-being and Demographic Events
● The Demographic Causes and Consequences of Ebola and other Emerging Infectious Diseases
● Youth and Intergenerational Relations in Developing Countries
|International Population Conference|
|Cape Town 2017: first IOC meeting|
The first meeting of the International Organizing Committee (IOC) for the 2017 International Population Conference has been rescheduled to take place on 31 March and 1 April in Cape Town, South Africa. This meeting will focus on the scientific programme for the Call for Papers drawing in part on the 164 session suggestions submitted by IUSSP members.
|IUSSP Training Workshops|
Demographic Dividend and African Emergence
This fourth training workshop on the Demographic Dividend organized by the IUSSP Network for Strengthening Demographic Training in Francophone Africa was held in Yaoundé, Cameroon 12-21 January; it focused on Education, Economic Growth, and Health.
Tools for Demographic Estimation
The IUSSP, with funding from UNFPA, organized this training workshop in Dakar, Senegal 1-5 December 2014. The workshop provided an opportunity for data analysts from national statistical offices to work on the analysis of recent census data and use the online IUSSP-UNFPA Tools for Demographic Estimation now available in French on the IUSSP website.
|Postpartum and Post-abortion Family Planning|
An estimated 222 million women in developing countries would like to delay or stop childbearing but are not using any method of contraception. The IUSSP Panel on Reproductive Health organized an international seminar in Cochin, India, which brought together 24 scientists and policy makers to present and discuss a range of issues relating to postpartum and post-abortion family planning.
In September 2014, the Secretariat made changes to membership payments to enable IUSSP members to make multiple year dues payments and, for those who are members of the Union for African Population Studies (UAPS), to pay their UAPS membership dues at the same time. (Read more)
Graeme Hugo (1946 - 2015). We were saddened to learn that Graeme Hugo passed away on 19 January 2015. He had been an active member of the Union since 1977 and contributed his expertise and time to many IUSSP scientific activities over the years.
|Calls for papers |
- Workshop on Changing Patterns of Mortality and Morbidity: Age, Time, Cause- and Cohort-perspectives, organized by the EAPS Health, Morbidity and Mortality Working Group, Prague, Czech Republic 16-18 Sept 2015. Deadline for submission: 31 March 2015.
- British Society for Population Studies (BSPS) Conference, Leeds, United Kingdom, 7-9 September 2015. Deadline for submission: 12 April 2015.
- SIS 2015. Statistics and Demography: the Legacy of Corrado Gini, organized by the Italian Statistical Society (SIS). Treviso, Italy, 9-11 September 2015. Deadline for paper submission: 10 May 2015.
- International Conference on Education and Reproduction in Low-Fertility Settings. Vienna, Austria, 2-4 December 2015. Deadline for submissions: 30 June 2015.
Calls for applications
- The European Doctoral School of Demography (EDSD) invites applications for school year 2015-2016. The School will be held at two different locations: Rostock, Germany (Sept-October 2015) and Sapienza University of Rome, Italy (Oct. 2015-July 2016). Deadline for applications: 15 April 2015.
- Statistics Korea will organize the 2nd KOSTAT Summer Seminar on Population, in Rep. of Korea from 27 July to 21 August 2015. It consists of three independent workshops:
1. Demographic Theory (advanced level), in Daejeon, 27-31 July;
2. Demographic Analysis with Own Data, in Busan, 3-13 Aug.;
3. Life Tables and their Applications, Seoul 17–21 Aug.
Registration deadline: 30 June 2015.
|Special issues in peer-reviewed journals |
(based on IUSSP seminars)
- Special issue on Socioeconomic Status and Fertility before, during and after the Demographic Transition, Martin Dribe, Michel Oris and Lucia Pozzi, eds., in Demographic Research, Special collection 14, vol. 31, 2014.
| Job Opportunities|
- Distinguished Professorship of Population and Social Policies, Institute for Population and Development Studies, Xi’an Jiaotong University, China. Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
- Two positions for Associate Population Affairs Officer (Population Data Unit), Population Division, Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), United Nations. Deadline for applications: 11 April 2015.
Research grants and post-docs
- Post-doctoral Research Associate to work on “An Atlas of Victorian Fertility Decline” for the Cambridge Group for the History of Population and Social Structure. Deadline for applications: 10 April 2015
|Forthcoming IUSSP meetings & events|
- IUSSP side meeting at the Cartagena Data Festival in Cartagena, Colombia, 21 April 2015.
- IUSSP Laureate Ceremony at the Annual Meeting of the PAA in San Diego, United States, on 29 April 2015.
- IUSSP Session on Demography, Demographers and the Data Revolution at the Annual Meeting of the PAA in San Diego, United States, on 1 May 2015.
- IUSSP Seminar on Union Breakdown and Repartnering around the World. Montreal, Canada, 4-6 May 2015.
- IUSSP Seminar on Spatial Analysis in Historical Demography: Micro and Macro Approaches, Quebec City, Canada, 17-18 Sept 2015.
|Other forthcoming conferences|
- Cartagena Data Festival, organized by ODI, Africa Gathering, CEPEI, Data-Pop Alliance, PARIS21, UNDP and UNFPA. Cartagena, Colombia, 20-22 April 2015.
- 2015 Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America. San Diego, United States, 30 April-2 May 2015.
- 2nd Annual International Conference on Demography and Population Studies. Athens, Greece, 15-18 June 2015.
- Regional Seminar on Gender Based Violence, organized by CEPEP and CENEP. Asunción, Paraguay, 17 June 2015.
- PopPov 9th Annual Conference on Population, Reproductive Health and Economic Development. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 24-26 June 2015.
- 12th IMISCOE Annual Conference, on Rights, Democracy and Migration. Geneva, Switzerland, 25-27 June 2015.
- 8th International Conference on Population Geographies, Brisbane, Australia, 30 June-3 July 2015
- Third Asian Population Association Conference. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 27-30 July 2015
- EAPS Health, Morbidity and Mortality Working Group Workshop. Prague, Czech Republic, 16-18 September 2015
- British Society for Population Studies (BSPS) Conference, Leeds, United Kingdom, 7-9 September 2015.
- 7th African Population Conference. Johannesburg, South Africa, 30 November-4 December 2015.
- International Conference on Education and Reproduction in Low-Fertility Settings, organized by the Vienna Institute of Demography. Vienna, Austria, 2-4 Dec 2015.
|Submit your news and announcements|
Feel free to share news from your institution and region so that we can keep all IUSSP members informed about recent or forthcoming events and opportunities in the population field. IUSSP members are welcome to submit information on conferences, job openings, post-doctoral positions, and research grants for inclusion in the newsletter and IUSSP website. Please send the information and any photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to include important dates for application deadlines. Information should be sent by email or in a Word document so that it can be edited. We look forward to hearing from you soon.