IUSSP at 2016 PAA Annual Meeting
IUSSP Laureate award ceremony for Ron Lee
The Laureate award ceremony, featuring a Symposium on Ronald Lee's Contributions to Demography with presentations by David Lam, Jennifer Johnson-Hanks and Andrew Mason, will take place on Wednesday 30 March 2016 at 6 pm in Room Madison AB . IUSSP members and colleagues and friends of Ron Lee are warmly invited to attend.
IUSSP side meetings at PAA
( Read more )
IUSSP Booth at the PAA
Attending the PAA? Come by the IUSSP Exhibit booth where Council members and Secretariat staff will be able to answer questions, provide information on forthcoming IUSSP activities, and where you can pick up a copy of the Call for Papers for the 2017 International Population Conference in Cape Town, South Africa. The IUSSP will also be sharing the booth with regional population associations.
(See schedule on this page)
IUSSP receives Organizational Effectiveness Grant
The Hewlett Foundation recently awarded the IUSSP a grant to commission an Impact Agency to help IUSSP review its business plan and fundraising strategy to ensure sustainability over the long run. The grant comes at a time of reduced funding from donors. As part of this review, we will be reaching out to all members via a survey in April.
( Read more )
New dues levels
The IUSSP Council decided to reevaluate membership dues, which have not been changed since 2006. As of March 30th 2016, the regular annual dues will increase from 90 to 100 euros. Reduced and very low dues will increase proportionally. The Council decided not to increase the 4-year dues amount to encourage members to pay for several years and remain members in between conferences.
(Read more )
We are saddened to learn that Jack Caldwell, IUSSP President (1994-1997), passed away at the age of 87. Jack Caldwell is one of the most influential researchers in the demographic field. He is widely known for his theory of intergenerational flows of wealth within families and its impact on fertility preferences.
New IUSSP Members
Eighteen new members and 17 new student associates joined the IUSSP since December 2015.
( Read more )
International Population Conference
Call for papers for IPC 2017 in Cape Town
The Call for Papers for the 2017 International Population Conference is now available online on the IPC2017 website. The website to submit abstracts will open in September, with the final deadline for contributions closing 15 Dec 2016. For additional information on the Conference and on travel to South Africa, visit the conference website.
Tips for IPC 2021 host country bids
Is your national population association or institution interested in hosting a future International Population Conference? The deadline to submit a bid for the 2021 International Population Conference – 15 December 2016 – is coming soon. Preparing a comprehensive bid takes time; fortunately there are many sources of support. Please read a few tips on where to get help and how to prepare a good proposal.
( Read more )
Report on N-IUSSP's first 4 months
Since IUSSP launched its new online news magazine, 18 articles have been published and readership has increased steadily. The N-IUSSP Editorial Committee warmly encourages members to submit more articles.
( Read more )
Demography and the Data Revolution
Big Data and Population Processes
The IUSSP Panel on Big Data and Population Processes is organizing two workshops:
Innovations for strengthening CRVS systems
Following its first meeting on Lessons learned from local initiatives supporting sustainable CRVS systems in Africa, the IUSSP Panel on Innovations for Strengthening Civil Registration and Vital Statistical Systems is now organizing a second:
Members’ activities and publications
Members’ new publications
- Gender-Based Violence. Perspectives from Africa, the Middle East, and India, edited by Yanyi K. Djamba and Sitawa R. Kimuna.
- Trajectoires et origines. Enquête sur la diversité des populations en France, edited by Cris Beauchemin, Christelle Hamel and Patrick Simon.
The IUSSP advertises members’ recent books and special issues on a dedicated web page and in its quarterly Bulletin.
( Read more )
Regional population associations
2016 PAA Annual Meeting
The 2016 Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America will be held at the Marriott Wardman Park, Washington, D.C., from 31 March to 2 April 2016. The IUSSP will have a booth (shared with regional population associations) and will organize its Laureate ceremony and two side meetings. Also take note of other member-initiated meetings reported by our members:
- The Human Mortality Database, Wednesday 30 March, 9:30 am-12:30 pm in Madison B (Marriott Hotel)
- Advancing the Demographic Study of Religion, Wednesday 30 March, 9 am-4:30 pm at the Pew Research Center, 1615 L Street NW, Washington, DC.
2016 European Population Conference
The 2016 European Population Conference will be held in the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany from 31 August to 3 September 2016. About 1000 participants from Europe and abroad are expected to present their work and discuss their most recent achievements. Detailed information, including about various exhibition and sponsorship opportunities, is available on the EPC2016 website.
XIX AIDELF Conference in Strasbourg
The 19th Conference of the Francophone population association AIDELF will be held at the University of Strasbourg (France) from 21 to 24 June 2016. Complete information on this conference is available on the AIDELF website.
2016 ALAP & ABEP Congress, Foz do Iguaçu
The VII Congress of the Latin American Population Association (ALAP) will be held together with the XX Congress of the Brazilian Population Association (ABEP) from 17 to 22 October 2016 in Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil.
( Read more )
Call for Host Country Institution for 2018 APA
The Asian Population Association (APA) invites institutions, organisations and national population associations in Asian countries to consider hosting the 4th Asian Population Association Conference in mid-2018. (Read more).
IUSSP Calls for Papers
- IUSSP Seminar on Linking Past to Present. Long-term perspectives on micro-level demographic processes. Kashiwa, Japan, 9-11 December 2016. Deadline for submissions: 30 March 2016.
Other calls for papers
- 11th Population Association of Southern Africa Conference. Johannesburg, South Africa, 31 Aug-2 Sept 2016 .Deadline for submissions: 31 March 2016
- 2016 Annual Conference of the British Society for Population Studies (BSPS). Winchester, United Kingdom 12-14 September 2016. Deadline for Submissions: 12 April 2016
- The Environmental Dimensions of Fertility Decision-Making. Special Issue of Population and Environment. Deadline for submissions: 30 May 2016
- Call for contributions: Special Issue of Sustainability on "Urban Resilience and Urban Sustainability: From Research to Practice". Deadline for submissions: 31 May 2016
Calls for Applications
- Formation régionale en genre, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, 11-23 avril 2016. Deadline for applications: 20 March 2016
- XII Migration Summer School: Approaches to International Migration at Origin and Destination: Theories, Policies and Methods for Analysis. Deadline for applications: 4 April 2016
- The European Doctoral School of Demography (EDSD) invites applications for school year 2016-17. Deadline for applications: 15 April 2016.
- 2016 International Workshops at the U.S. Census Bureau
- CSPro Android for Intermediate Users, 11-22 April 2016.
- Census Publicity through Census in Schools, 23-27 May 2016.
- Gender Statistics for Data Users. 25-29 July 2016.
- Demographic Analysis. 15-26 Aug 2016.
- Understanding the Demographic Dividend. 12-16 Sept 2016.
- CSPro Android for Intermediate Users. 19-30 Sept 2016.
- Data Dissemination. 17-21 Oct 2016.
- Introduction to Survey Sampling. 24 Oct-4 Nov 2016.
Technical notes for 2020 round of censuses
Leading up to the global 2020 round of national censuses, the U.S. Census Bureau is excited to announce the initial release of a series of technical notes titled Select Topics in International Censuses. The first two documents are focused on geospatial technology and measuring maternal mortality.
The journal Genus is open to new submissions
“Genus: Journal of Population Sciences” is an open access peer-reviewed journal published by Springer on behalf of the Sapienza University of Rome. It has adopted an interdisciplinary approach to population studies by publishing articles of “pure” demography and articles aiming to further a better knowledge of the interrelationship between demography and biological, social and economic phenomena, connected with the evolution of the population.
- Executive Director, Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data. Deadline for Applications: 1 April 2016
- Research fellow in demography (mortality), Stockholm University Demography Unit (SUDA), Department of Sociology. Deadline for Applications: 15 April 2016
- Junior Researcher Position Stockholm University SIMSAM Node for Demographic Research (SUNDEM). Deadline for Applications: 15 April 2016
- Statistical Programmer, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR). Deadline for Applications: 15 April 2016
Research Grants/Fellowship/Post Docs
- Fellowships to support doctoral research in the population, health, and the environment (PHE) field. Deadline for applications: 31 March 2016
- Postdoctoral Research at IIASA. Deadline for applications: 1 April 2016
- Postdoctoral position in mortality projections at the University of Groningen. Deadline for applications: 4 April 2016
- 15 Early Stage Researcher positions for PhD candidates in the European Union (LONGPOP). Deadline for applications: 15 April 2016
- PhD candidate positions in Economic History, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR) and Lund University. Deadline for Applications: 15 April 2016
- INED- iPOPs 2016 Call for doctoral studentship applications. Deadline for applications: 12 May 2016
- International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS) admission announcement 2016-2017. Deadline for applications: 31 May 2016
Forthcoming IUSSP meetings & events
- IUSSP Workshop on Communicating on the Demographic Dividend with Policy Makers and Journalists. Mbalmayo, Cameroon, 22 March 2016
- IUSSP Training Workshop on Social Media and Demographic Methods, Washington D.C., United States, 30 Mar 2016
- IUSSP Meeting: Towards the Next Generation of Record-linkage Studies to Advance Data Quality Assessment of Civil Registration Systems in Low- and Middle-income Countries. Washington DC, United States, 4-5 April 2016
- IUSSP Workshop on Social Media and Demographic Research: Applications and Implications. Cologne, Germany, 17 May 2016
- IUSSP Seminar on Registering and counting the population: The production and exploration of census information from early modern times to the end of 20th century. Campinas - São Paulo, Brazil, 19-21 May 2016
- IUSSP Seminar on Medication abortion: Availability and use, and impact on abortion safety and women’s health. Dakar, Senegal, 6-8 Jul 2016
- IUSSP Seminar on Linking Past to Present. Long-term perspectives on micro-level demographic processes. Kashiwa, Japan, 9-11 Dec 2016
Other forthcoming conferences
- National Seminar on Contesting Spaces & Negotiating Development - A Dialogue on Domestic Migrants, State and Inclusive Citizenship in India. Mumbai, India, 25-26 March 2016
- Annual meeting of the Association of American Geographers. San Francisco, United States, 29 March-2 April 2016
- 2016 Annual meeting of the Population Association of America (PAA). Washington D.C., 31 March-2 April 2016.
- Formation régionale en genre. Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, 11-23 April 2016
- Joint Eurostat/UNECE Work Session on Demographic Projections. Geneva, Switzerland, 18-20 Apr 2016.
- XVII April International academic conference on economic and social development. Moscow, Russia, 19-22 Apr 2016
- Conference on Housing wealth and welfare. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 25-26 May 2016.
- Workshop on Climate, Migration & Health in Latin America: Connections through Urbanization. Boulder, United States, 26-27 May 2016
- 28th REVES Meeting on Determinants of Unusual and Differential Health Expectancy. Vienna, Austria, 8-10 Jun 2016
- International Conference on Sequence Analysis and Related Methods. Lausanne, Switzerland, 8-10 Jun 2016.
- 3rd Annual international conference on demography and population. Athens, Greece, 13-16 Jun 2016
- 9th International Conference on Migration and Development. Florence, Italy 13-14 June 2016
- XI ADEH Conference (Iberian Society of Historical Demography). Cádiz, Spain, 21-24 Jun 2016.
- XIX Colloque international de l’Aidelf. Strasbourg, France, 21-24 Jun 2016.
- XIII Reunión Nacional de Investigación Demográfica en México. Mexico City, Mexico, 22-24 Jun 2016.
- Population-level fertility research: State of the art The 2nd Human Fertility Database Symposium. Berlin, Germany, 23-24 June 2016
- Family demography in Africa and post-2015 development agenda. Johannesburg, South Africa, 25-28 Jun 2016
- Turkish Migration Conference 2016. Vienna, Austria, 12-15 Jul 2016.
- ISA RC28 Summer Meeting. Bern, Switzerland, 29-31 Aug 2016
- 2016 European Population Conference. Mainz, Germany, 31 Aug-3 Sep 2016.
- 2016 Annual Conference of the British Society for Population Studies. Winchester, United Kingdom, 12-14 Sept 2016
- 2016 Meeting of the European Society for Historical Demography (ESHD 2016). Leuven, Belgium, 21-24 Sep 2016.
- International Young Researchers'Conference: The impacts and challenges of demographic changes. Paris, France, 22-23 Sept 2016
- VII Conference of the Latin American Population Association (ALAP). Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil, 17-21 Oct 2016.
- 42nd Quetelet Conference on Men’s perspective in unions, fertility and parenthood. Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, 9-10 November 2016.
Submit Your Announcements
Feel free to share news from your institution and region so that we can keep all IUSSP members informed about recent or forthcoming events and opportunities in the population field. IUSSP members are welcome to submit information on conferences, job openings, post-doctoral positions, and research grants for inclusion in the newsletter and IUSSP website. Please send the information and any photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to include important dates for application deadlines. Information should be sent by email or in a Word document so that it can be edited. For inclusion in the next Bulletin, please send information by 1 June 2016. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
IUSSP Bulletin / Bulletin de l’UIESP
Publication Director: Mary Ellen Zuppan, IUSSP Executive Director