In this issue: 2016 IUSSP Laureate ● N-IUSSP ● International Population Conference ● Tips for IPC 2021 host country bids ● Regional population associations ● 7th African Population Conference ● Advancing the Data Revolution in Africa ● Sustainable CRVS systems in Africa ● How to model the decision-making process? ● Spatial analysis in historical demography ● Water and population dynamics ● Demographic analysis for decision-making in Francophone Africa ● Recent publications ● Members’ new publications ● New IUSSP members ● Obituaries ● Calls for papers ● Calls for applications ● Job opportunities ● Calendar
The IUSSP Officers and Secretariat wish you all a happy holiday season and New Year!
2016 Laureate – Ron Lee
The IUSSP Council has elected Ron Lee as the 2016 IUSSP Laureate. The Laureate ceremony will take place on Wednesday March 30th from 6:00 to 8:00 pm at the Marriot Wardman Park Hotel before the 2016 PAA Annual Meeting, in Washington, DC. It will begin with a special session focusing on research areas where Ron Lee has made important contributions followed by the presentation of the award. Save the date! (Read more)
N-IUSSP: the newborn has turned 1 month old
A word from Gustavo De Santis, Editor in Chief of IUSSP’s online news magazine N-IUSSP, which has just celebrated its first “monthlyversary”. In its first month of activity, it has published six articles...
International Population Conference
Tips for IPC 2021 host country bids
The deadline to submit a bid for the 2021 International Population Conference – 15 December 2016 – is coming soon. Preparing a comprehensive bid takes time, fortunately there are many sources of support. Please read a few tips on where to get help and how to prepare a good proposal. (Read more)
IPC 2017 Steering Committee meeting
The Steering Committee for the 2017 IUSSP International Population Conference met in Pretoria, just before the 7th African Population Conference to review plans for IPC 2017 and finalize the list of themes and session topics. (Read more)
Regional population associations
7th African Population Conference
The Union for African Population Studies organized its quadrennial Conference in Pretoria, South Africa 30 November-4 December 2015, on the theme “Demographic Dividend in Africa: Prospects, Opportunities and Challenges". The IUSSP organized several side meetings and sessions and had an exhibit booth where participants could learn more about IUSSP and the Conference.
Francophone African Network at APC 2015
The IUSSP Network on Strengthening Demographic Training in Francophone Africa (FraNet) enabled the participation of researchers and journalists from Francophone Africa at the 7th APC where it also organized 2 side meetings. (Read more)
APA 2016-2018 Council election results
The Asian Population Association held an online election for its 2016-2018 Council from 1 October to 15 November 2015, in which 52.65% of eligible members cast their vote. The results are available on the APA website. Doo-Sub Kim (photo) is the incoming President.
Demography and the Data Revolution
Advancing the Data Revolution in Africa
The IUSSP organized a session at the African Population Conference in Pretoria, South Africa on "Advancing the Data Revolution in Africa: A Dialogue between Demographers and Data Practitioners".
IUSSP Seminars & Workshops
Sustainable CRVS systems in Africa
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Innovations for Strengthening Civil Registration and Vital Statistical Systems organized a side meeting on 28 November in Johannesburg, at the 7th African Population Conference, on “Lessons learned from local initiatives supporting sustainable civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS) systems in Africa”. (Read more)
How to model the decision-making process?
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Microsimulation and Agent-based Modeling and the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research held a Workshop on “The science of choice – How to model the decision-making process?”, which brought together some 40 researchers from 11 countries. (Read more)
Spatial Analysis in Historical Demography
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Historical Demography, in collaboration with the Université du Québec à Chicoutimi, organized a Seminar in Quebec City, Canada on 17-18 September 2015 on "Spatial Analysis in Historical Demography - Micro and Macro approaches". (Read more)
Demographic analysis for decision-making in Francophone Africa
The Training workshop on "Demographic analysis for decision-making in Francophone Africa" using the UNFPA/IUSSP online Tools for Demographic Estimation was held in Dakar, Senegal, 2-6 Nov 2015.
Water and population dynamics
The PERN Cyberseminar on "Water and Population Dynamics" took place from 5 to 16 October 2015. Read the background paper, contributions from 6 invited experts, and the cyberseminar postings, on the PERN website. (Read more)
Special issues in peer-reviewed journals
(Based on IUSSP seminars)
Special issue on Postpartum and Post-Abortion Contraception: From Research to Programs, Iqbal H. Shah, K.G. Santhya, and John Cleland, eds., in Studies in Family Planning, Volume 46, Issue 4, December 2015.
Members’ activities and publications
Members’ new publications
- Fear, Anxiety, and National Identity: Immigration and Belonging in North America and Western Europe, edited by Nancy Foner and Patrick Simon.
- The Culture of Mental Illness and Psychiatric Practice in Africa, edited by Emmanuel Akyeampong, Allan G. Hill, and Arthur Kleinman.
- Spatial Inequalities – Health, Poverty, and Place in Accra, Ghana, edited by John R. Weeks, Allan G. Hill, and Justin Stoler.
The IUSSP advertises members’ recent books and special issues on a dedicated web page and in its quarterly Bulletin. (Read more on conditions and procedures)
New IUSSP Members
Forty new members and 34 new student associates joined the IUSSP since September 2015. (Read more)
Warren Robinson (1928 - 2015)
Ahmed Bahri (1938 - 2015)
Nigel Barnet ("Barney") Cohen (1959 - 2015)
Charles Keely (1942 - 2014)
Calls for Papers
- Family demography in Africa and post-2015 development agenda. Johannesburg, South Africa, 25-28 June 2016. Deadline for submissions: 31 December 2015
- XIII Reunión Nacional de Investigación Demográfica en México, Mexico City, Mexico, 22-24 June 2016. Deadline for submissions: extended to 10 January 2015
- 2016 Meeting of the European Society for Historical Demography (ESHD 2016). Leuven, Belgium, 21-24 September 2016. Deadline for submissions: 10 January 2016
- LaCOSA II International Conference on Sequence Analysis and Related Methods. Lausanne, Switzerland, 8-10 June 2016. Deadline for submissions: 10 January 2016
- 9th International Conference on Migration and Development. Florence, Italy, 13-14 June 2016. Deadline for submissions: 15 January 2016
- Turkish Migration Conference. Vienna, Austria, 12-15 July 2016. Deadline for submissions: 19 January 2016
- Conference on Housing Wealth and Welfare. Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 25-26 May 2016. Deadline for submissions: 28 January 2016.
- 28th REVES Meeting on Determinants of Unusual and Differential Health Expectancy. Vienna, Austria, 8-10 June 2016. Deadline for submissions: 1 February 2016
- The Environmental Dimensions of Fertility Decision-Making. Special issue of Population and Environment. Deadline for submissions: 30 May 2016
- Urban Resilience and Urban Sustainability: From Research to Practice. Special issue of Sustainability. Deadline for submissions: 31 May 2016
Calls for Applications
- English MSc Program with Concentration in Population. Vienna University of Economics, Vienna, Austria. Deadline for applications: 8 January 2016
- Advanced Courses on Comparative Approaches in Ecology and Evolution. MPIDR, Rostock, Germany, 25-29 April 2016. Deadline for applications: 31 January 2016
- CSPro Android for Intermediate Users. U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, DC, United States, 11-22 April 2016. Deadline for applications: 10 April 2016
- Assistant Professor in Sociology, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland. Deadline for Applications: 6 January 2016
- Faculty Vacancy at Queens College CUNY. Big Data, Data Analytics, or Data Science. Deadline for Applications: 15 January 2016
- PhD Student in Comparative European Labour Markets and Social Policy Research, Centre for Sociological Research of KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium. Deadline for Applications: 17 January 2016
- Chair in the Sociology of Gender, University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland. Deadline for Applications: 29 January 2016
- WZB Directorship, Berlin, Germany. Deadline for Applications: 31 January 2016
- Faculty Position in Demography. Department of Demography at the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA). Deadline for Applications: 15 February 2016
- Pompeu Fabra University. Tenure-track in Sociology. Deadline for Applications: 14 March 2016
Research Grants/Fellowship/Post Docs
- PhD Studentships in Demography/Population Studies at the London School of Economics, London, United Kingdom. Deadline for applications: 31 December 2015
Forthcoming IUSSP meetings & events
- IUSSP Seminar on Registering and counting the population: The production and exploration of census information from early modern times to the end of 20th century. Campinas - São Paulo, Brazil, 19-21 May 2016
- IUSSP Seminar on Medication abortion: Availability and use, and impact on abortion safety and women’s health. Dakar, Senegal, 6-8 Jul 2016
Other forthcoming conferences
- Population Issues and Dynamics in Trinidad and Tobago – Theory, Practice and Policy for Post 2015 SDGs. St. Augustine, Trinidad & Tobago, 7-9 Jan 2016
- International Workshop on Demographic Analysis & Population Projections. Quezon City, Philippines, 11-22 Jan 2016
- Bhopal Seminar 2016. Population transition in India - Challenges and opportunities. Bhopal, India, 14-16 Jan 2016
- 2016 Alpine Population Conference. Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland, 26-29 January 2016.
- 7th Demographic Conference of Young Demographers. Prague, Czech Republic, 11-12 Feb 2016.
- International Conference on Refugees, Security, and Sustainable Development in the Middle East: The Need for North–South Dialogue. Irbid, Jordan, 15-16 Mar 2016.
- Annual meeting of the Association of American Geographers. San Francisco, United States, 29 March-2 April 2016
- 2016 Annual meeting of the Population Association of America (PAA). Washington D.C., 31 March-2 April 2016.
- Joint Eurostat/UNECE Work Session on Demographic Projections. Geneva, Switzerland, 18-20 Apr 2016.
- XVII April International academic conference on economic and social development. Moscow, Russia, 19-22 Apr 2016
- Conference on Housing wealth and welfare. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 25-26 May 2016.
- 28th REVES Meeting on Determinants of Unusual and Differential Health Expectancy. Vienna, Austria, 8-10 Jun 2016
- International Conference on Sequence Analysis and Related Methods. Lausanne, Switzerland, 8-10 Jun 2016.
- 9th International Conference on Migration and Development. Florence, Italy 13-14 June 2016
- 3rd Annual international conference on demography and population. Athens, Greece, 13-16 Jun 2016
- XIX Colloque international de l’Aidelf. Strasbourg, France, 21-24 Jun 2016.
- XI ADEH Conference (Iberian Society of Historical Demography). Cádiz, Spain, 21-24 Jun 2016.
- XIII Reunión Nacional de Investigación Demográfica en México. Mexico City, Mexico, 22-24 Jun 2016.
- Family demography in Africa and post-2015 development agenda. Johannesburg, South Africa, 25-28 Jun 2016
- Turkish Migration Conference 2016. Vienna, Austria, 12-15 Jul 2016.
- 2016 European Population Conference. Mainz, Germany, 31 Aug-3 Sep 2016.
- 2016 Meeting of the European Society for Historical Demography (ESHD 2016). Leuven, Belgium, 21-24 Sep 2016.
- VII Conference of the Latin American Population Association (ALAP). Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil, 17-21 Oct 2016.
Submit your announcements
Feel free to share news from your institution and region so that we can keep all IUSSP members informed about recent or forthcoming events and opportunities in the population field. IUSSP members are welcome to submit information on conferences, job openings, post-doctoral positions, and research grants for inclusion in the newsletter and IUSSP website. Please send the information and any photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to include important dates for application deadlines. Information should be sent by email or in a Word document so that it can be edited. For inclusion in the next Bulletin, please send information by 1 March 2016. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
IUSSP Bulletin / Bulletin de l’UIESP
Publication Director: Mary Ellen Zuppan, IUSSP Executive Director