LIVES Doctoral Programme 2023-2025
- Deadline for applications: 30 September 2023
Since 2011, the Swiss Centre of Expertise on Life Course Research LIVES offers a doctoral programme, followed by 105 PhD graduates so far.
The Centre LIVES is now welcoming applications for its 2023-25 doctoral programme.
This programme is open to any PhD candidate conducting research on topics related to the life course / lifespan perspective.
Please visit the LIVES website for more details on the programme and/or application:
Course on Topics in Digital and Computational Demography at MPIDR
Rostock, Germany, 4-8 December 2023
- Application deadline: 22 October 2023
The Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR) is offering an open course on Topics in Digital and Computational Demography (4-8 December 2023) and encourages qualified candidates to apply. Instructors are Aliakbar Akbaritabar, Risto Conte Keivabu, Jisu Kim, Tom Theile and Emilio Zagheni.
This year, topics include:
- Introduction to Digital and Computational Demography; Approaches for combining representative data and non-probabilistic samples; Identifying sources of bias in digital trace data and adjusting for them.
- How the internet works; Surfing the web and web scraping in R; Getting started on accessing web-APIs with R.
- Using social media data for migration research; Case studies of X (ex-Twitter) in uncovering digital traces of migrants throughout their journey.
- Using large-scale bibliometric data for demographic research; Advantages and pitfalls of using Scopus, OpenAlex, ORCID and similar data sources to trace internal and international scholarly migration worldwide.
- Introduction to geospatial and environmental data; Advantages and pitfalls of available open data on the environment; Handling of environmental data for demographic research.
Please see the announcement on the MPIDR webiste for details.