The IUSSP Panel on Digital and Computational Demography is organizing this training workshop at the 2023 Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America.
The SOCSIM demographic microsimulator—which uses demographic rates as inputs to produce synthetic populations with plausible age and kinship structures—has supported demographic research for decades. SOCSIM-based studies of kinship dynamics are regularly published in the highest-ranked demographic journals (e.g., kin availability, kin loss, generational overlap, etc.). In this workshop, we will cover the basics of demographic microsimulation and review recent work using SOCSIM by leading scholars. We will also introduce the R package ‘rsocsim’, a flexible and portable release of SOCSIM designed to run in an R-language environment (https://github.com/MPIDR/rsocsim).
1. Introduce participants to the use of demographic microsimulation using SOCSIM
2. Review the current state of computational approaches to study family dynamics
3. Provide a hands-on introduction to the ‘rsocsim’ package in RStudio
Participation is free of cost, but attendees must register in advance.
- The workshop is restricted to a limited number of participants.
- Apply only if you are attending PAA2023 in person.
- To apply, please fill out this form.
A first set of applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application by 31 January 2023. If the number of applicants is not reached at that date, the form will remain open.
Note: the registration includes an invitation to the reception of the IUSSP Panel on Digital and Computational Demography (Wednesday 12 April 16:15 to 17:00).