Shireen J Jejeebhoy
Shireen Jejeebhoy has been working independently in the areas of adolescent health and development, gender based violence, and sexual and reproductive health and rights since April 2016. Earlier, she was Senior Associate, Population Council, India (2002-March 2016); she led its work on young people, gender-based violence, and preventing unsafe abortion, was responsible for conducting the Youth in India study, India’s first sub-national study of youth, and trials assessing the feasibility of medication and surgical abortion provision by midlevel providers in India. During 1998-2002, she was Scientist in the Reproductive Health and Research Department, WHO (Geneva), focusing on adolescent health and development, quality of care, and other RH issues. She served on the IUSSP Council (2010-2013), and the Council of the Asian Population Association (2009-2010), was a member of scientific groups and panels of both organisations, and participated in and/or played a key role in organising various IUSSP and APA conferences and seminars.
- Shireen J Jejeebhoy, Rajib Acharya, Ravi Prakash, Santosh Kumar Singh, E E Daniel. 2015. Meeting Contraceptive Needs: Long-Term Associations Of the PRACHAR Project with Married Women’s Awareness and Behavior in Bihar (International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 41(3):115–125, doi: 10.1363/4111515.
- Beth Dail Marshall, Nan Astone, Robert W. Blum Shireen Jejeebhoy, Sinead Delany-Moretlwe, Heena Brahmbhatt, Adesola Olumide, Ziliang Wang. 2014. Social capital and vulnerable urban youth in five global cities Journal of Adolescent Health 55: S21eS30.
- Shireen J. Jejeebhoy, KG Santhya and AJ Francis Zavier. 2014. Demand for contraception to delay first pregnancy among young married women in India. Studies in Family Planning, 45: 183–201 (June).
- Shireen J Jejeebhoy, KG Santhya and Rajib Acharya. 2014. Violence against women in South Asia: The need for the active engagement of the health sector Global Public Health: An International Journal for Research, Policy and Practice, 19;9(6):678-90.
- Shveta Kalyanwala, Shireen J. Jejeebhoy, A.J. Francis Zavier, Rajesh Kumar. 2012. Experiences of unmarried young abortion-seekers in Bihar and Jharkhand, India Culture Health and Sexuality, Volume 14 (3): 241-255.
- Shireen J Jejeebhoy, P. M. Kulkarni, K. G. Santhya, Firoza Mehrotra (Eds). 2014. Health and population in India: An assessment of the current situation and future needs Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
Member of Editorial Board of the International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, and the Asia Pacific Journal of Population
Member, Governing Board, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
IUSSP, Member, Council (2010-2013), Scientific Panel on Adolescent Life Course in Developing Countries (2003-2010)
Asian Population Association: Chair, Nominations Committee, (2015), Chair, Scientific Group on Transitions to Adulthood (2014-2015), Council member (2009-2010)
Member, Govt of India, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Technical Resource Group working on Adolescent Health
Member, Indian Association for the Study of Population (IASP); Population Association of America (PAA)