The IUSSP mission is to promote the scientific study of population, encourage exchange between researchers around the globe, and stimulate interest in population issues.
To further its mission, the IUSSP:
- organizes seminars and workshops to further scientific knowledge;
- organizes training and distance-learning activities to improve the research capacity;
- organizes the International Population Conference every four years to bring together world specialists in the field;
- publishes outcomes of its scientific activities in a variety of publications, aimed at a scientific audience, policy makers or for the general public;
- maintains a website, to help its members collaborate in a variety of ways and to provide population information for a general audience.