The Ohio State University
I am a formal demographer who works on the demography and epidemiology of Africa and developing new methods for population sciences. Right now I am working on:
* Improving the 'verbal autopsy' method used to quantify the burden of disease for populations without full coverage vital statistics systems.
* Mapping child mortality at the subnational level through time using household survey data in countries without full coverage vital statistics systems.
* Developing new population indicator measurement strategies and statistical methods to implement them.
* Fertility and Mortality: variety of projects investigating levels and trends in fertility and mortality, mostly in Africa, and sometimes building models of age schedules of fertility and mortality that can be used widely as inputs to other analyses
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
* African Demography
* Epidemiology & Health Metrics
* Mortality & Mortality Models
* Methods & Data
* BS, Engineering and Applied Science, Caltech, 1993
* BS, Biology, Caltech, 1993
* PhD, Demography, University of Pennsylvania, 2001