International Science Council - Upcoming events
IUSSP is a member of the International Science Council which organizes a range of activities bringing together interdisciplinary panels of scientists to discuss scientific issues, many of which will be of direct interest to demographers and population scientists. While many activities are open only to member institutions, here is a list of upcoming activities that are open to our members and broader networks.
1. Join Ban Ki-moon and Mary Robinson in our webinar: Transformations within reach
The International Science Council (ISC), the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) and the Permanent Missions of Norway and South Africa to the United Nations cordially invite you to join an interactive discussion as part of the 75th United Nations General Assembly side events. The event will present a summary of identified game-changing transformations, following the response to COVID-19, that would enable the world to practically take a leap towards sustainability, including key insights and recommendations that have emerged from extensive consultations with a multi-stakeholder community and will suggest a way to operationalize a sustainable and equitable new normal.
Date: Tuesday, 29 September 2020
Time: 15:00 – 16:00 CEST
Speakers include: H.E. Ban Ki-moon, Former Secretary-General of the United Nations; H.E. Mary Robinson, ISC Patron; Heide Hackmann, ISC CEO
2. ISC Membership Notice Board
As always, we encourage you to visit the ISC Membership Notice Board on a regular basis as we add information such as opportunities, dates and deadlines that are of interest to ISC Members on a regular basis: https://council.science/members/membership-notice-board/.
Recent additions to the notice board include:
- Webinar on Data-Driven Governance in Sustainable Cities: New models for public-private data sharing (19 October 2020)
- Call for Research-Action projects on COVID-19 by the French National Research Agency (deadline for applications: 28 October 2020)
- Join the Surface Ocean – Lower Atmosphere (SOLAS) Summer School 2021 (deadline for applications: 6 November 2020)
- Join the Oxfam/LSE Research and Action Programme on ‘Emergent Agency in a Time of COVID-19’ (ongoing)
3. Join the Discussion on the Future of Scientific and Scholarly Publishing
A kind reminder that we are still accepting comments on the draft discussion paper until 30 September. This activity is only accessible to ISC member organizations.
4. Call for inputs to shape a priority action agenda for science
There is one week left to submit your expert views on priorities for science that can deliver game-changing action regarding Science for Sustainability Transformations, and Transformations of Science Systems by completing this survey: https://council.science/science-funding/global-call/ (deadline for contributions: 2 October 2020).
For more information on ISC activities please visit the ISC website.