Open access Membership Directory
The Membership Directory is now open to the public. Anyone can search for a member by name or find individuals by field of study, specialization, regional focus, language, or country of residence. The IUSSP Council believes this will make members’ research more visible to the public and promote networking between population scientists and researchers in other fields and disciplines. In order for the Membership Directory and Find a Member search tool to fulfill this function, however, we need you to maintain and update your personal member profile page. Click on the link to read more on the Membership Directory and Find a Member. Also read more about tips for creating an attractive Membership Profile Page.
IUSSP finally on Twitter and Facebook!
You can now learn about upcoming IUSSP events and find other announcements and news on IUSSP’s Facebook page and through Twitter. To follow IUSSP and keep abreast of news in the population field: subscribe to the IUSSP Twitter account and visit the IUSSP Facebook page. (Read more)
New IUSSP Members
Four new members and 16 new student associates joined the IUSSP since June 2015. See the list of new members.
N-IUSSP, a new IUSSP news magazine
The first issue of N-IUSSP, IUSSP’s on-line news magazine, will be published this fall. N-IUSSP aims to disseminate scientific findings from demographic research to a larger audience. It will be written in rigorous but plain language and will seek to share research findings from all over the world. (Read more)
Members’ activities and publications
Members’ new publications
- Social Statistics and Ethnic Diversity: Cross-National Perspectives on Classifications and Identity Politics, edited by Patrick Simon, Victor Piché, and Amélie Gagnon.
- L'état civil au Cameroun. Contribution à l'analyse de la dynamique générale de la population, by Samuel Kelodjoue.
- Atlas des Marocains du monde: caractéristiques générales, edited by Brahim Kidou.
The IUSSP advertises members’ recent books and special issues on a dedicated web page and in its quarterly Bulletin. If you would like to share a recent publication or activity of interest to IUSSP members. (Read more on conditions and procedures)
Demotrends– a new blog on population
Demotrends is a blog founded and edited by young researchers in the field of demography from across Europe. Demotrends is keen to hear from anyone who would like to get involved, either by writing a one-off post introducing and discussing your research, by becoming a regular contributor or by volunteering for managing the website and social media activities. (Read more)
Forthcoming Cyberseminar on Water and Population Dynamics
PERN (Population-Environment Research Network), an IUSSP Scientific Panel, is planning a Cyberseminar on "Water and Population Dynamics" for 5-16 October 2015. For more information on the cyberseminar (including how to participate) ... read more.
Union Breakdown and Repartnering around the World
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Nuptiality organized its second seminar on Union Breakdown and Repartnering around the World, in Montreal, Canada from 4 to 6 May 2015. The meeting brought together 33 researchers from 15 countries. (Read more)
Regional population associations
APA Conference in Kuala Lumpur
The Asian Population Association (APA) organized its biennial Asian Population Conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 27-30 July 2015. Over 500 participants attended. IUSSP was there with an exhibit stand, which it shared with other regional associations. (Read more)
7th African Population Conference
The Union for African Population Studies is organizing its quadrennial African Population Conference in Johannesburg, South Africa 30 November-4 December 2015, in collaboration with the South African Department of Social Development. The theme of the 7th African Population Conference is the “Demographic Dividend in Africa: Prospects, Opportunities and Challenges. IUSSP will have an exhibit booth and several IUSSP Panels will be organizing side meetings during the Conference. There is still time to apply for side meeting and exhibit space through 30 September 2015. (Read more)
EPC 2016 Call for papers
The European Association for Population Studies (EAPS) invites contributions for the next European Population Conference to be held at Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany, 31 August-3 September 2016. EPC2016 is a general scientific population conference where the topic “Demographic Change and Policy Implications” will receive special attention. The deadline for submissions is 15 December 2015. (Read more)
International Population Conference
Call for papers for IPC 2017 Cape Town
The Steering Committee for the Conference will meet during the UAPS Conference to review plans with the South African National Organizing Committee. The Secretariat is currently confirming final invitations to organizers and conveners for the scientific programme for the Call for Papers for the 2017 International Population Conference in South Africa. We plan to distribute a preliminary list of themes and sessions for the Call for Papers at UAPS’s African Population Conference in Johannesburg, South Africa. A more detailed list will be sent out to all members in March 2016.
Call for 2021 IPC host country candidates
It is not too early to begin thinking about the 2021 International Population Conference, especially if you and your colleagues would like to host the event in your city or country.
The IUSSP invites national population associations to consider hosting the 29th International Population Conference in 2021. The date to submit formal bid proposals has been moved up a year to December 2016. In the meantime, expressions of interest are welcome. (Read more)
Demography and the Data Revolution
IUSSP meeting on Advancing the Data Revolution in Africa: A Dialogue between Demographers and Data Practitioners, organized as a side meeting at the 7th African Population Conference. The date, time, and place will be communicated later. (Read more)
2016 Laureate nominations
Would you like one of your colleagues to be honoured for their decisive contribution to the advancement of demography and population research? Do not hesitate to round up support and propose a nomination for the 2016 IUSSP Laureate award. The letter of nomination and all supporting documents should be sent to the IUSSP Secretariat by 31 October 2015. (Read more)
IUSSP Calls for papers
- International seminar on Medication abortion: Availability and use, and impact on abortion safety and women’s health. Dakar, Senegal, 6-8 July 2016. Deadline for submission of abstracts: 31 October 2015
- International seminar on Registering and counting the population: The production and exploration of census information from early modern times to the end of 20th century. Campinas - São Paulo, Brazil, 19-21 May 2016. Deadline for submission of abstracts: 30 November 2015
Other Calls for papers
- 2016 Annual meeting of the Population Association of America (PAA). Washington, DC, United States, 31 March-2 April 2016. Deadline for submissions: 25 September 2015.
- Special issue of the quarterly journal Afrique contemporaine: Is the Data Revolution in Africa a Myth or Reality? Challenges Posed in the Production and Use of African Statistics. Deadline for proposals: 30 September 2015.
- Bhopal Seminar 2016. Population transition in India. Challenges and opportunities. Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India, 14-16 January 2016. Deadline for submissions: 10 November 2015
- XVII April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development. Moscow, Russia, 19–22 April 2016. Deadline for submissions: 11 November 2015
- Demography and Population Studies (DPS) PopStudies mini-conference. Johannesburg, South Africa, 25-26 November 2015. Deadline for submissions: 15 November 2015
- 3rd Annual international conference on demography and population. Athens, Greece, 13-16 June 2016. Deadline for submissions: 16 November 2015
- XI ADEH Conference (Iberian Society of Historical Demography). Cádiz, Spain, 21-24 June 2016. Deadline for submissions: 29 November 2015
- European Population Conference (EPC 2016). Mainz, Germany, 31 August-3 September 2016. Deadline for submissions: 15 December 2015
- Family demography in Africa and post-2015 development agenda. Johannesburg, South Africa, 25-28 June 2016. Deadline for submissions: 31 December 2015
- 2016 Meeting of the European Society for Historical Demography (ESHD 2016). Leuven, Belgium, 21-24 September 2016. Deadline for submissions: 10 January 2016
- Call for contributions: Sustainability Special Issue "Urban Resilience and Urban Sustainability: From Research to Practice". Deadline for submissions: 31 May 2016
Calls for Applications
- Workshop on Analysing migration flows using the IMAGE studio. Leeds, United Kingdom, 19-20 November, 2015. Deadline for applications: 19 November 2015.
UAPS Award of Excellence
The Council of UAPS recently launched the UAPS Award of Excellence. Please download the nomination and application instructions for this prestigious award. Deadline for application: 31 October 2015. (Read more)
Allianz European Demographer Award
This prize will honor outstanding research in the field of population studies on demographic change in Europe. Candidates must have completed their PhD recently or within the past ten years. Deadline for nominations: 16 October 2015. (Read more)
INDEPTH Network adds new health and demographic data
The INDEPTH Network has added new health and demographic data to its publicly available online data archives. The recent updates are available on the INDEPTH Data Repository and INDEPTHStats.
- Michigan State University. Assistant/Associate Professor of Sociology of Health and Medicine. Deadline for Applications: 1 October 2015
- Assistant Professors in the Department of Geography, Environment, and Society. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. Deadline for Applications: 1 October 2015
- Doctoral student for the project "Configuration and family life course. Institute of Demography and Socio-economics (I-DESO), University of Geneva. Deadline for Applications: 15 October 2015
- The Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation (STBF). Research and Evaluation Officer(s). Deadline for Applications: 16 October 2015
- Lecturer in Demography, Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute, Australian National University. Deadline for Applications: 30 October 2015
Research Grants/Fellowship/Post Docs
- Postdoctoral Associate and two Ph.D. students: Telecoupled Human and Natural Systems. Michigan State University. Deadline for applications: As soon as possible.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow. NSF project. San Diego University. Deadline for applications: 1 October 2015
- Call for applications for WZB-ISSC Global Fellowship. Deadline for applications: 30 October 2015.
Forthcoming IUSSP meetings & events
- PERN Cyberseminar on Water and population dynamics, 5-16 Oct 2015
- IUSSP Workshop: The science of choice - How to model the decision-making process? Rostock, Germany, 28-30 Oct 2015
- IUSSP Training workshop on Demographic analysis for decision-making in Francophone Africa - the UNFPA/IUSSP online tools for demographic estimation. Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, 2-6 Nov 2015
- IUSSP Side meeting at the African Population Conference. Lessons learned from local initiatives supporting sustainable civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS) systems in Africa. Johannesburg, South Africa, 28 Nov 2015
- IUSSP Seminar on Registering and counting the population: The production and exploration of census information from early modern times to the end of 20th century. Campinas - São Paulo, Brazil, 19-21 May 2016
- IUSSP Seminar on Medication abortion: Availability and use, and impact on abortion safety and women’s health. Dakar, Senegal, 6-8 Jul 2016
Other forthcoming conferences
- International Conference on The population of the Balkans at the dawn of the 21st century. Ohrid, FYR of Macedonia, 21-24 Oct 2015.
- International Conference on Family Planning (ICFP) pre-conference workshop on the demographic dividend. Nusa Dua, Indonesia, 9 Nov 2015.
- Quetelet Seminar 2015: Local demography – Relations between population, place of residence and public policy. Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, 18-20 Nov 2015.
- Workshop on Analysing migration flows using the IMAGE studio. Leeds, United Kingdom, 19-20 Nov 2015
- Colloquium on Maternal and neonatal health beyond 2015. Rabat, Morocco, 24-27 Nov 2015
- Demography and Population Studies (DPS) PopStudies mini-conference. Johannesburg, South Africa, 25-26 Nov 2015
- 7th African Population Conference. Johannesburg, South Africa, 30 November-4 December 2015.
- International conference on Education and reproduction in low-fertility settings. Vienna, Austria, 2-4 Dec 2015.
- Bhopal Seminar 2016. Population transition in India - Challenges and opportunities. Bhopal, India, 14-16 Jan 2016
- 2016 Alpine Population Conference. Villars-sur-Ollon, Switzerland, 26-29 January 2016.
- Annual meeting of the Association of American Geographers. San Francisco, United States, 29 March-2 April 2016
- 2016 Annual meeting of the Population Association of America (PAA). Washington D.C., 31 March-2 April 2016.
- XVII April International academic conference on economic and social development. Moscow, Russia, 19-22 Apr 2016
- 3rd Annual international conference on demography and population. Athens, Greece, 13-16 Jun 2016
- XIX Colloque international de l’Aidelf. Strasbourg, France, 21-24 June 2016.
- XI ADEH Conference (Iberian Society of Historical Demography). Cádiz, Spain, 21-24 June 2016.
- Family demography in Africa and post-2015 development agenda. Johannesburg, South Africa, 25-28 Jun 2016
- 2016 European Population Conference. Mainz, Germany, 31 August-3 September 2016.
- 2016 Meeting of the European Society for Historical Demography (ESHD 2016). Leuven, Belgium, 21-24 September 2016.
- VII Conference of the Latin American Population Association (ALAP). Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil, 17-21 October 2016.
Welcome Marina Boragno to the IUSSP Secretariat
The Secretariat welcomed Marina Boragno, who replaces Fabienne Feuillade as the IUSSP Finance and Administrative Officer, on September 1st. Marina is originally from Italy but has studied and lived in France for over 15 years. She has a master’s in French and English literature and languages, specializing in French, with additional certification in accounting. She will keep the IUSSP accounts, in collaboration with IUSSP’s accounting firm, ARICE. You can communicate with Marina in French, English or Italian.
Submit your announcements
Feel free to share news from your institution and region so that we can keep all IUSSP members informed about recent or forthcoming events and opportunities in the population field. IUSSP members are welcome to submit information on conferences, job openings, post-doctoral positions, and research grants for inclusion in the newsletter and IUSSP website. Please send the information and any photos to email@example.com and remember to include important dates for application deadlines. Information should be sent by email or in a Word document so that it can be edited. For inclusion in the next Bulletin, please send information by 10 December. We look forward to hearing from you soon.