|In this issue: 2017 Elections for Council and Committee on Nominations ● Constitutional revision ● International Population Conference ● Data Revolution activities ● Recent publications ● New IUSSP Panels ● Seminars and workshops ● News from the members ● Regional population associations ● Other announcements ● N-IUSSP ● Calls for papers ● Training opportunities ● Job opportunities ● Calendar |
Elections 2017 – Last week to vote!
Elections for the 2018-2021 Council and to select candidates for the 2021 Committee on Nominations will close on 1 October 2017. Full members who were in good standing on 30 June 2017 were included the electoral list and received electronic ballots by email. The final reminder was sent on 25 September (from firstname.lastname@example.org).
A proposal to amend the Constitution was sent to members on 24 July. This proposal will be discussed at the General Assembly in Cape Town. Members are invited to send their comments by 15 October to constitutionalrevision@iussp. These comments will be compiled and transmitted to the Revision Committee.
One month to Cape Town
Next 29 October, the 28th International Population Conference will open for an exciting week of scientific discussion and debate with researchers and policy makers from around the globe in a city that offers a rich natural and cultural heritage for all to explore.
Data Revolution activities
Preconference workshops at IPC2017
Data Revolution News Feed
IUSSP Scientific Panels
The IUSSP Council accepted proposals for two new Scientific Panels:
IUSSP seminar reports
Mortality: Past, Present and Future
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Lifespan Extension with Varying Cause-of-death Trajectories organized a seminar on "Mortality: Past, Present and Future", in Campinas, Brazil, 7-8 August 2017, followed by a one-day training.
Urban Health Transformations
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Historical Demography organized a seminar on "Urban Health Transformations" in collaboration with and hosted by the University of Cambridge (United Kingdom) on 11-12 July 2017.
Climate, Migration & Health
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Migration, Climate and Health organized a “Workshop on Climate, Migration & Health with a focus on refugee movements” in Boulder, Colorado, 25-26 May 2017.
Article in a peer-reviewed journal
(based on the 2016 PERN Cyberseminar on Water and Population Dynamics)
- Dos Santos, S., E. A. Adams, G. Neville, Y. Wada, A. de Sherbinin, E. Mullin Bernhardt and S. B. Adamo. 2017. Urban growth and water access in sub-Saharan Africa: Progress, challenges, and emerging research directions. Science of The Total Environment, Volumes 607–608. Pages 497-508.
Tools for Demographic Estimation
- The online manual Tools for Demographic Estimation is now available in PDF in French: Moultrie TA, RE Dorrington, AG Hill, K Hill, IM Timæus et B Zaba (eds). 2017. Outils pour l’estimation démographique. Paris: IUSSP. Download at demographicestimation.iussp.org.
News from the members
Members’ new publications
- Model-Based Demography. Essays on Integrating Data, Technique and Theory, by Thomas K.Burch.
- Africa’s Population: In Search of a Demographic Dividend, by Hans Groth and John F. May.
- Health and Medicine in the Indian Princely States: 1850-1950, by Waltraud Ernst, Biswamoy Pati and T.V. Sekher.
New IUSSP members
154 new members and 141 new student associates joined the IUSSP between 1 July and 1 September 2017. (see list)
Regional population associations
2018 PAA Annual Meeting in Denver
Online submissions for the 2018 Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America (PAA), to be held in Denver, United States, 26-28 April 2018, will close soon.
Deadline for submissions: 29 September 2017.
2018 APA Conference in Shanghai
Online submissions for the 4th Asian Population Association (APA) Conference, to be held in Shanghai, China, 11-14 July 2018, will close soon.
Deadline for submissions: 30 September 2017.
2018 AIDELF Conference in Louvain-la-Neuve
Online submissions for the 20th Conference of the Association Internationale des Démographes de Langue Française (AIDELF), to be held in Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, 28-31 August 2018, in conjunction with the 2018 Chaire Quetelet, will close soon.
Deadline for submissions: 30 September 2017.
2018 European Population Conference in Brussels
Online submissions for the 2018 European Population Conference, to be held at Vrije Universiteit Brussel, in Belgium, 6-9 June 2018 will close soon. EPC 2018 is a general population conference with a focus next year on “Population, Diversity and Inequality”.
Deadline for submissions: 1 October 2017.
15th Annual Conference of IASSH
The Indian Association for Social Sciences and Health (IASSH) will organize its 15th Annual Conference in Hyderabad, India, 16-18 November 2017. The 2nd Prof. John Caldwell Memorial Lecture will also be held. Register by 30 September 2017.
Population journal Young Author Prize 2018
The Population Young Author Prize is open to PhD students and young researchers working in the field of population studies and will be awarded to the most outstanding original paper submitted to the competition jury. Deadline for submission: 15 November 2017.
Advanced STATA: A five day course at LSHTM
The Population Studies group at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) organizes since 2008 a five-day course entitled “Advanced STATA: Programming and other techniques to make your life easier.” The course will be held this year from 6 to 10 November and costs £1,315.
N-IUSSP's recent articles
- Children born to a lone mother and their well-being in the UK, by Elena Mariani and Alice Goisis.
- Sharing routine housework and desire for more children in East Asia, by Man-Yee Kan and Ekaterina Hertog.
- Fertility in the time of economic crisis, by Ludovica Comolli.
- Persistent high fertility in rural Africa, by Michel Garenne.
- Majority to minority: the declining U.S. white population, by Dudley L. Poston Jr. and Rogelio Sáenz.
- Internal migration drives population change in Asia, by Gavin Jones.
- Surrogacy: a multi-faceted phenomenon, by Virginie Rozée and Laurent Toulemon.
- The world’s next 4 billion people will differ from the previous 4 billion, by David Lam.
- Family planning in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya, by Donatien Beguy, Alex C. Ezeh, Blessing U. Mberu and Jacques B.O. Emina.
- The rise of divorce, separation, and cohabitation in the Philippines, by Jeofrey B. Abalos.
- Recent trends in premarital fertility in sub-Saharan Africa, by Shelley Clark, Alissa Koski and Emily Smith-Greenaway.
- Think race and ethnicity are permanent? Think again, by Carolyn A. Liebler, Sonya R. Porter, Leticia E. Fernandez, James M. Noon and Sharon R. Ennis.
Calls for Papers
- 2018 Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America, Denver, United States, 26-28 April 2018. Deadline for Submissions: 29 Sept 2017.
- 4th Asian Population Association (APA) Conference, Shanghai, China, 11-14 July 2018. Deadline for submissions: 30 Sept 2017.
- XX Colloque de l'AIDELF 2018, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgique, 28-31 August 2018. Deadline for submissions: 30 Sept 2017.
- Session on Health Inequalities and Urbanization, 17th-20th centuries, at the 18th World Economic History Congress (WEHC 2018), Boston, United States, 29 July-3 August 2018. Deadline for submissions: 30 Sept 2017.
- 2018 European Population Conference (EPC 2018), Brussels, Belgium, 6-9 June 2018. Deadline for submissions: 1 Oct 2017.
- Special Issue of International Journal of Population Studies. Deadline for submission: 31 Oct 2017.
- International Sociological Association, Joint Conference for the Research Committee on Family (RC06) & Population (RC 41) on the theme “Changing Demography–Changing Families”, Singapore, 17-19 May 2018. Deadline for submissions: 1 Nov 2017.
- 9th Demographic Conference of "Young Demographers, Prague, Czech Republic, 15-16 February 2018. Deadline for submissions: 15 Nov 2017.
- Call for session proposals for the World Social Science Forum 2018, Fukuoka, Japan, 25-28 September 2018. Deadline for submissions: 30 Nov 2017.
- Advanced STATA: Programming and other techniques to make your life easier, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 6-10 November 2017. Fees: £1,315. Deadline for applications: 12 Oct 2017.
- 9e Université d’été du RéDoc/AISLF: De l’observation à la production de connaissances: les médiations dans la recherche en sciences sociales, Université d’Ottawa, Canada, 18-22 June 2018. Deadline for applications: 1 Nov 2017.
- CSPro Android for Intermediate Users, US Census Bureau, Washington DC, United States, 27 November-8 December 2017. Apply early. The workshop will be limited to 15 participants.
- Two-week intensive course on Spatial Demography: Concepts, Cartographic and Statistical Analysis Techniques, and Big Geodata, in Rostock, Germany, 22 January-2 February 2018. Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research. Deadline for application: 12 Nov 2018.
- Early Stage Researcher in the EU Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie MSCA-ITN Project LONGPOP. Deadline for applications: 6 Oct 2017.
Research grants/fellowship/post docs
- PhD Position in climate impact research at Humboldt University and Climate Analytics, Berlin, Germany. Deadline for applications: 29 Sept 2017
- 2 post-doctoral fellowships for panel study on childhood development, Building Human Capacity in Singapore’s Population, Centre for Family and Population Research (CFPR), National University of Singapore. Deadline for applications: 30 Sept 2017.
- 2 post-doctoral research positions on migration and mobility and 1 pre-doctoral research position on fertility, Federal Institute for Population Research (BiB), Wiesbaden, Germany. Deadline for applications: 4 Oct 2017.
- Intern - Research Assistant - Social Sciences. U.N. Economic Commission for Africa. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Deadline for applications: 30 Dec 2017.
- 1-2 full-time post-doctoral research positions in Population Health, Labor Demography, or Fertility and Well-being, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR).
Forthcoming IUSSP meetings & other events
- International conference: Transnational families and divorce: revisiting marital break-up in times of global (im)mobilities. Nijmegen, Netherlands, 27-29 Sept 2017.
- 15th Meeting of the European Network for the Sociological and Demographic Study of Divorce. Antwerp, Belgium, 5-7 Oct 2017.
- Workshop on OBOR Strategy and Its Implications for International Migration and Socio-ecological Changes. Shanghai, China, 10-11 Oct 2017.
- SLLS Annual International Conference. Multidisciplinary Collaboration in Longitudinal and Lifecourse Research. Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom, 11-13 Oct 2017.
- II International Congress - Cities through History: Society. Guimarães, Portugal, 18-20 Oct 2017.
- Workshop on (New-ish) Methods and Data for Exploring Group Inequalities. Bath, United Kingdom, 19-20 Oct 2017.
- Adolescent Research Day: “Nutrition & Reproductive Health from a Life-Cycle Perspective – Closing the Adolescent Data Gap to Achieve Sustainable Development”, Vientiane, Lao PDR, 23 Oct 2017.
- Annual Meeting of the Southern Demographic Association (SDA) in Morgantown, United States, 25-27 Oct 2017.
- 11th World Congress on Adolescent Health: Investing in Adolescent Health - the Future is Now. New Delhi, India, 27-29 Oct 2017.
- International Population Conference, Cape Town, South Africa, 29 Oct-4 Nov 2017.
- Workshop on Migration, Integration, Participation, Paris, France, 9-10 Nov 2017.
- European Congress on Family Science 2017. Vienna, Austria, 9-11 Nov 2017.
- IUSSP Seminar on Pandemics: Reflections on the Centennial of the 1918 Spanish Influenza Virus, Madrid, Spain, 27-29 Nov 2017.
- 43rd Quetelet Conference, 2017. The demography of refugees and displaced populations. Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, 29-30 Nov 2017.
- 4th Alpine Population Conference (Alp-Pop 2018), La Thuile, Aosta Valley (Italy), 14-17 Jan 2018.
- 9th Demographic Conference of "Young Demographers, Prague, Czech Republic, 15-16 Feb 2018.
- 2018 Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America, Denver, United States, 26-28 Apr 2018.
- International Sociological Association (ISA) Joint Conference for RC06 (Family) & RC41 (Population). Singapore, 17-19 May 2018.
- European Population Conference 2018 (EPC 2018). Brussels, Belgium, 6-9 June 2018.
- 4th Asian Population Association (APA) Conference. Shanghai, China, 11-14 July 2018.
- XXe Colloque de l'AIDELF 2018, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgique, 28-31 Aug 2018.
- 2018 World Social Science Forum. Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan. 25-28 Sept 2018.
Submit your announcements
Share news from your institution and region so that we can keep all IUSSP members informed about recent or forthcoming events and opportunities in the population field: conferences, jobs, post-docs, and research grants. Please send the information to email@example.com and remember to include important dates for application deadlines (and photos when appropriate). For inclusion in the next Bulletin, please send information by 1 December 2017.
IUSSP Bulletin / Bulletin de l’UIESP
Publication Director: Mary Ellen Zuppan, IUSSP Executive Director