|In this issue: 2017 Elections for Council and Committee on Nominations ● Constitutional revision ● 2016 Annual Report ● International Population Conference ● IUSSP contributions to UN migration and refugee compacts ● Data Revolution activities ● African Francophone Network ● Population-Environment activities ● Seminars and workshops ● News from the members ● Regional population associations ● Other announcements ● N-IUSSP ● Calls for papers ● Training opportunities ● Job opportunities ● Calendar |
Elections for Council members and officers will take place online from 30 July to 1 October 2017. This year, IUSSP Members are also invited to select candidates for the 2021 Committee on Nominations. The electoral list will include all (full) members in good standing as of 30 June. (read more)
A proposal to amend the Constitution will be presented to members shortly. Its aim is to clarify certain definitions and procedures, introduce several items following suggestions from the membership survey or from consultants, and make it easier for the IUSSP to adapt to an ever faster changing environment. (read more)
2016 Annual Report
IUSSP’s Annual Activities and Management Report for 2016 is now available on the IUSSP website. Read the 2016 Annual Report.
IPC2017 scientific programme
The International Organizing Committee met on 13-14 April and approved the preliminary scientific programme. All those interested in population research are now invited to register to attend IPC 2017 in Cape Town, 29 October-4 November 2017. (read more)
Sponsored Research Leader Sessions
As a means to raise funds for the conference, the IUSSP has offered organizations working in the population field the opportunity to organize sessions to highlight research carried out or supported by their institution. Note that there are still a few slots available. (see list)
Simultaneous translation in Cape Town
To allow all our colleagues, especially students and researchers from Francophone Africa, to fully benefit from the Conference, donate to the Fund set up for Simultaneous Translation.
(read more and donate!)
IUSSP & the United Nations
IUSSP contributions to UN migration and refugee compacts
In adopting the New York Declaration in September 2016, Member States of the United Nations agreed to develop a global compact for safe, orderly and regular migration. IUSSP Members are encouraged to contribute their expertise. (read more)
Data Revolution activities
Recent research and training workshops
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Big Data and Population Processes recently organized workshops at the PAA in Chicago, at the World Wide Web Conference in Perth, and at International AAAI Conference in Montreal. Their common goal was to foster collaboration between demographers and computer scientists. (read more)
Tutorial on Digital Demography at IC2S2
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Big Data and Population Processes will run a Tutorial on Digital Demography on 10 July at the 3rd Annual International Conference on Computational Social Science in Cologne, Germany. (read more)
African Francophone Network
50 Questions on the Demographic Dividend
The IUSSP Network on Strengthening Demographic Training in Francophone Africa held a workshop on 31 March in Yaoundé to seek feedback from specialized journalists to finalize the volume “50 Questions on the Demographic Dividend in Africa” and further increase the journalists’ understanding of the demographic dividend. (read more)
Culture, belief systems, values, and the environment
The Population-Environment Research Network (PERN) held a cyberseminar on culture, belief systems, values, and the environment from 15 to 26 May 2017. The cyberseminar was kicked off with a webinar on 15 May, hosted by Future Earth.
Watch the webinar video and read the background paper, expert contributions and postings.
IUSSP seminars and workshops
Mortality analysis and forecasting
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Lifespan Extension with Varying Cause-of-death Trajectories organized a seminar on Mortality Analysis and Forecasting in New Delhi, India, 6-7 April 2017. (read more)
Subjective well-being and demography
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Subjective Well-being and Demographic Events organized a workshop on 26 April 2017 at the PAA Annual Meeting in Chicago focused on integrating subjective well-being in the demographic research agenda. (read more)
News from the members
Membership survey results
A summary report on the membership survey which was conducted online from 17 June to 21 August 2016 is now available on the IUSSP website. Read the membership survey report.
Members’ new publications
- Assisted Reproductive Technologies in the Global South and North Issues, Challenges and the Future, edited by Virginie Rozée and Sayeed Unisa.
- Intimate Interventions in Global Health: Family Planning and HIV Prevention in Sub-Saharan Africa, by Rachel Sullivan Robinson.
- Generaciones, cursos de vida y desigualdad social, coordinated by Marie-Laure Coubès, Patricio Solis and Maria Eugenia Cosio Zavala.
New IUSSP members
234 new members and 284 new student associates joined the IUSSP since March 2017. (see list)
Regional population associations
2017 PAA Annual Meeting in Chicago
The IUSSP organized two pre-conference workshops and had an exhibit booth at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America (PAA), which was held in Chicago, 27-29 April. (read more)
2018 European Population Conference
The 2018 European Population Conference will be held at Vrije Universiteit Brussel, in Belgium, 6-9 June 2018. EPC 2018 is a general population conference with a focus next year on “Population, Diversity and Inequality”. Deadline for submissions: 1 Oct 2017. (read more)
2018 APA Conference in Shanghai
Online submissions are now open for the 4th Asian Population Association (APA) Conference, which will be held in Shanghai, China, 11-14 July 2018. Deadline for submissions: 30 Sept 2017. (read more)
United Nations Population Fund
Dr. Babatunde Osotimehin 1949-2017
Dr. Babatunde Osotimehin, Executive Director of UNFPA, passed away suddenly on 4 June 2017. He was a global leader of public health and the empowerment of women and young people, and strongly promoted human rights in population and development.
Read UNFPA Acting Executive Director Dr. Natalia Kanem’s tribute.
The Quetelet Journal is an open-access, thematic journal launched in 2013 by the Center for Demographic Research of Université catholique de Louvain (UCL). Articles are submitted to a double-blind review process. There is no publication fee and all accepted papers are available online free of charge. (read more)
Big Data for Gender Challenge
Data2X is pleased to announce a Big Data for Gender Challenge, through which they seek to catalyze innovative solutions to fill global gender data gaps on the well-being of women and girls. Applicants may submit proposals for prizes of $100,000 or $50,000.
Deadline for submissions: 7 July 2017. (read more)
Scholarships for MSc students from sub-Saharan Africa at LSHTM
Sir Andrew Witty GSK Scholarships will provide support for 30 sub-Saharan African scholars on any of the MSc programmes at LSHTM, including the MSc in Demography and Health and the MSc in Reproductive and Sexual Health Research. (read more)
New editor search for PRPR
The Southern Demographic Association’s Publications Committee seeks applications for the position of Co-Editor of Population Research and Policy Review (PRPR) published by Springer. The incoming Co-Editor will begin working with continuing Co-Editor Lynne Cossman in January 2018. Deadline for applications: 1 August 2017. (read more)
N-IUSSP's recent articles
- Marriage is useless (for wages), by Alexandra Killewald and Ian Lundberg.
- Recent fertility changes in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, by David Shapiro and Basile O. Tambashe.
- ISIS genocide of the Yazidi religious minority of Sinjar, Iraq, by Valeria Cetorelli, Isaac Sasson, Nazar Shabila and Gilbert Burnham.
- Non-cohabiting relationships: mainly a transitional situation, by Arnaud Regnier-Loilier.
- Population density interacts with sanitation to predict child health, by Diane Coffey and Payal Hathi.
- Teenage immigrants fare worse than younger immigrants in Norway, by Are Skeie Hermansen.
- Past fertility and living alone in later life in Spain, by David S. Reher and Miguel Requena.
- Increasing residential age segregation in Britain, by Albert Sabater, Elspeth Graham and Nissa Finney.
- First birth postponement and fertility in Europe, by Hippolyte d’Albis, Angela Greulich and Gregory Ponthière.
- How comparable are self-reported health data on the older population in Europe? by Katherine Keenan, Else Foverskov and Emily Grundy.
- The demography of Trump’s wall, by Dudley L. Poston Jr. and Peter A. Morrison.
- The economic and fiscal impact of immigration in the US, by Francine D. Blau and Christopher Mackie.
IUSSP calls for papers
- IUSSP Seminar on Pandemics: Reflections on the Centennial of the 1918 Spanish Influenza Virus, Madrid, Spain, 27-29 November 2017. Deadline for submissions: 30 June 2017.
Other calls for papers
- Annual Meeting of the Southern Demographic Association (SDA) in Morgantown, United States, 25-27 Oct 2017. Deadline for submissions: 30 June 2017.
- Adolescent Health and Development in Southern Africa: Implications and Post- 2015 Development Agenda. South African Journal of Child Health. Deadline for submissions: 1 Aug 2017.
- 4th Asian Population Association (APA) Conference, Shanghai, China, 11-14 July 2018. Deadline for submissions: 30 Sept 2017.
- 2018 European Population Conference (EPC 2018), Brussels, Belgium, 6-9 June 2018. Deadline for submissions: 1 Oct 2017.
- Special Issue of International Journal of Population Studies. Deadline for submission: 31 Oct 2017.
- International Sociological Association, Joint Conference for the Research Committee on Family (RC06) & Population (RC 41) on the theme “Changing Demography–Changing Families”, Singapore, 17-19 May 2018. Deadline for submissions: 1 Nov 2017.
- 4th KOSTAT-UNFPA Summer Seminar on Population: Aging and NTA (Daejeon, Korea, 23-29 July; Demography with R (Busan, Korea, 30 July-5 Aug); Migration Analysis (Seoul, Korea, 6-12 Aug 12). Deadline for applications: 23 June 2017.
- Call for workshop applications: Maternal, Neonatal, Child and Adolescent Health, South Africa, Johannesburg/Pretoria, South Africa, 18-22 Sept 2017. Deadline for applications: 30 June 2017.
- Online Applied Demography programs to be offered by the Pennsylvania State University (Penn State). Deadline for applications: 1 July 2017.
- Advanced STATA: Programming and other techniques to make your life easier, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 6-10 November 2017. Fees: £1,315. Deadline for applications: 12 Oct 2017.
- Associate or Assistant Professor in Demography at Shanghai University. Applications will be received until position is filled.
- Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow, Chronic Disease Epidemiology, Monash University, Australia. Deadline for applications: 14 July 2017.
Research grants/fellowship/post docs
- Postdoc or pre-doctoral researcher, ERC project CORRODE, Goethe-University Frankfurt/Main, Germany. Deadline for applications: 27 June 2017.
- Two-year post-doctoral fellowship on ageing, care and wellbeing at the Research and Expertise Centre for Survey Methodology (RECSM), Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona, Spain. Deadline for applications: 30 June 2017.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Global Aging and Community Initiative (GACI), Mount Saint Vincent University, Canada. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Intern - Research Assistant - Social Sciences. U.N. Economic Commission for Africa. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Deadline for applications: 30 Dec 2017.
Forthcoming IUSSP meetings & other events
- International Population Geography Conference, University of Washington, Seattle, United States, 29 June-1 July 2017.
- (IUSSP) Tutorial on Digital Demography at the 3rd Annual International Conference on Computational Social Science (IC2S2 2017), Cologne, Germany, 10-13 July 2017.
- IUSSP Seminar on Urban Health Transformations. Cambridge, United Kingdom, 11-12 July 2017.
- EAPS Health, Morbidity, and Mortality workshop on the theme of "Historical and contemporary trends in morbidity and mortality", Novosibirsk, Russia, 19-21 July 2017.
- Summer School “Demography, Human Capital and Economic Growth”, Shanghai, China, 19-23 July 2017.
- International Conference on "Partner Relationships, Residential Relocations and Housing in the Life Course", Cologne, Germany, 27-29 July 2017.
- IUSSP Seminar on Mortality: Past, Present and Future, Campinas, Brazil, 7-9 Aug 2017.
- Conference on Global Need for Formal Child Care. Montreal, Canada, 11 Aug 2017.
- Annual Conference of the European Consortium for Sociological Research (ECSR2017). Milan Italy, 31 Aug-2 Sep 2017.
- BSPS Annual Conference 2017, Liverpool, UK, 6-8 Sept 2017.
- 25th annual workshop of the European Research Network on Transitions in Youth (TIY). Brussels, Belgium, 13-16 Sept 2017.
- Climate and Cities Conference 2017. Potsdam, Germany, 18-21 Sept 2017.
- International conference: Transnational families and divorce: revisiting marital break-up in times of global (im)mobilities. Nijmegen, Netherlands, 27-29 Sep 2017.
- 15th Meeting of the European Network for the Sociological and Demographic Study of Divorce. Antwerp, Belgium, 5-7 Oct 2017.
- Workshop on OBOR Strategy and Its Implications for International Migration and Socio-ecological Changes. Shanghai, China, 10-11 Oct 2017.
- SLLS Annual International Conference. Multidisciplinary Collaboration in Longitudinal and Lifecourse Research. Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom, 11-13 Oct 2017.
- II International Congress - Cities through History: Society. Guimarães, Portugal, 18-20 Oct 2017.
- Workshop on (New-ish) Methods and Data for Exploring Group Inequalities. Bath, United Kingdom, 19-20 Oct 2017.
- Annual Meeting of the Southern Demographic Association (SDA) in Morgantown, United States, 25-27 Oct 2017.
- 11th World Congress on Adolescent Health: Investing in Adolescent Health - the Future is Now. New Delhi, India, 27-29 Oct 2017.
- International Population Conference, Cape Town, South Africa, 29 Oct-4 Nov 2017.
- European Congress on Family Science 2017. Vienna, Austria, 9-11 Nov 2017.
- IUSSP Seminar on Pandemics: Reflections on the Centennial of the 1918 Spanish Influenza Virus, Madrid, Spain, 27-29 Nov 2017.
- 43nd Quetelet Conference, 2017. The demography of refugees and displaced populations. Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, 29-30 Nov 2017.
- International Sociological Association (ISA) Joint Conference for RC06 (Family) & RC41 (Population). Singapore, 17-19 May 2018.
- European Population Conference 2018 (EPC 2018). Brussels, Belgium, 6-9 June 2018.
- 4th Asian Population Association (APA) Conference. Shanghai, China, 11-14 July 2018.
- 2018 World Social Science Forum. Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan. 25-28 Sept 2018.
Submit your announcements
Share news from your institution and region so that we can keep all IUSSP members informed about recent or forthcoming events and opportunities in the population field: conferences, jobs, post-docs, and research grants. Please send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to include important dates for application deadlines (and photos when appropriate). For inclusion in the next Bulletin, please send information by 1 September 2017.
IUSSP Bulletin / Bulletin de l’UIESP
Publication Director: Mary Ellen Zuppan, IUSSP Executive Director