Council 2022 - 2025
The Council is responsible for the scientific programme of the IUSSP as a whole. It consists of the Bureau and nine elected members elected for four years. A member of the Council assumes responsibility for scientific liaison with each Scientific Group.
Since the constitutional amendments approved in 2005, the IUSSP Council has five regional Council positions to ensure at least one Council member from each region. These Council members are elected by all the members and they serve in the same capacity as Council members elected at-large.
They may also alert the Council to regional concerns and serve as a liaison with those regions. It is hoped that the regional representatives will have a positive role in encouraging membership and member participation in IUSSP activities from those regions.
- President: Shireen Jejeebhoy (India)
- Vice President: Laura Rodriguez Wong (Peru)
- Secretary General and Treasurer: Nico van Nimwegen (Netherlands)
- Council member for Africa: Nkechi Owoo (Ghana)
- Council member for Asia and Oceania: Edith Gray (Australia)
- Council member for Europe: Albert Esteve (Spain)
- Council member for Latin-America: Irene Casique (Mexico)
- Council member for North America: Ann Moore (United States)
Council Member at large:
- Mohammad Jalal Abbasi-Shavazi (Iran)
- Akanni Akinyemi (Nigeria)
- Shelley Clark (Canada)
- Géraldine Duthé (France)
- Tom LeGrand (Canada)
- Anastasia Gage (Sierra Leone)
- Peter McDonald (Australia)
- John Cleland (United Kingdom)
- Jacques Vallin (France)
- Mercedes B. Concepcion (Philippines)
- Massimo Livi Bacci (Italy)
See Past Governing Boards (1928-2021).