|In this issue: Member nominations for IUSSP Council ● International Population Conference ● Data Revolution activities ● Population-Environment activities ● Seminars and workshops ● News from the members ● Other announcements ● N-IUSSP ● Calls for papers ● Training opportunities ● Job opportunities ● Calendar |
Member nominations - 2017 elections
IUSSP members are invited to nominate candidates in addition to those proposed by the Committee on Nominations for the forthcoming Council elections. Deadline: 15 June 2017.
IOC and NOC actively preparing IPC2017
The International Organizing Committee for the 2017 IPC will meet on 13-14 April to finalize the scientific programme. The National Organizing Committee is excited to welcome IUSSP members to Cape Town. Read all about their preparations.
Travel and accommodation
With 7 months to go before the 28th International Population Conference, it is time to start booking your hotel accommodation in preparation for your visit to the beautiful Rainbow Nation. Read more on hotels and travel on the IPC2017 website.
Data Revolution activities
Forthcoming training workshop at PAA
The IUSSP Panel on Big Data and Population Processes will organize a Training Workshop on Social Media and Demographic Methods at the PAA Annual Meeting in Chicago (26 April from 1:30 to 5:30 pm).
Record linkage and data integration
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Innovations for Strengthening CRVS Systems organized a session on “Advancing the Data Revolution through Record Linkage and Data Integration” on 6 December 2016, at the 15th Conference of the IAOS in Abu Dhabi.
Forthcoming PERN cyberseminar
The next Population-Environment Research Network (PERN) cyberseminar will take place from 15 to 26 May 2017 and will focus on culture, belief systems, values, and the environment. This cyberseminar will be kicked off with a webinar on 15 May, hosted by Future Earth.
IUSSP seminars and workshops
Linking past to present
The IUSSP Scientific Panel on Historical Demography organized on 9-10 December 2016 in Kashiwa, Japan, a seminar on Linking Past to Present – Long-term perspectives on micro-level demographic processes.
Capturing the demographic dividend
The IUSSP Network on Strengthening Demographic Training in Francophone Africa organized a workshop to communicate the results of their research on the Demographic Dividend in Africa to policy makers and journalists in Yaoundé, Cameroon, 9-13 January 2017.
News from the members
Members' new publications
- A Fraught Embrace: The Romance and Reality of AIDS Altruism in Africa, by Ann Swidler and Susan Cotts Watkins.
- A Global History of Historical Demography - Half a Century of Interdisciplinarity, by Antoinette Fauve-Chamoux, Ioan Bolovan and Sølvi Sogner, eds.
- Migration internationale africaine, coordinated by Rachid Chaabita.
New IUSSP members
Twenty-seven new members and 154 new student associates joined the IUSSP since December 2016.
• Jan Hoem (1939 - 2017)
• Catherine Rollet (1942 - 2016).
Demography Today lecture series
The Demography Today lecture series aims to promote and communicate scientific work on issues related to demography, Big Data, longitudinal records and health, while informing society in an accessible way. These lectures can be viewed online.
Online Applied Demography at Penn State
The Penn State Department of Sociology and Graduate Program in Demography are pleased to announce the launch of an online Graduate Certificate and Masters in Professional Studies (MPS). Courses will be available in Fall 2017. Application deadline is 1 July 2017.
N-IUSSP's recent articles
- Will international adoption be replaced by surrogacy? by Jean-François Mignot.
- Does birth spacing matter for long-term outcomes? by Kieron Barclay.
- Marriage then the baby carriage? by Jennifer A. Holland.
- Eradicating induced abortion? Lessons from 20th Century France, by Fabrice Cahen.
- Childlessness in Europe, by Michaela Kreyenfeld.
- Assimilation and birth outcomes of Hispanics in the US, by Osea Giuntella.
- Vital registration in Africa: when will it be complete? by Michel Garenne and Pierre Cantrelle.
- Health effects of working beyond State Pension Age in England, by Giorgio Di Gessa, Laurie M Corna, Loretta Platts, Diana Worts, Peggy Mcdonough, Amanda Sacker, Debora Price and Karen Glaser.
- International differences in life expectancy gains (and in their cost), by Nick Parr, Jackie Li and Leonie Tickle.
- Does parental separation increase inequality of educational opportunity? by Fabrizio Bernardi and Diederik Boertien.
- In France, male managers live six years longer than male manual workers, by Nathalie Blanpain.
- Strong growth projected for Australia’s Indigenous population, by Tom Wilson.
- How does parental separation affect children’s day-to-day life? by Marion Leturcq and Lidia Panico.
IUSSP calls for papers
- IUSSP Seminar on Pandemics: Reflections on the Centennial of the 1918 Spanish Influenza Virus, Madrid, Spain, 27-29 November 2017. Deadline for submissions: 31 May 2017.
Other calls for papers
- 25th annual workshop of the European Research Network on Transitions in Youth (TIY), Brussels, Belgium, 13-16 September 2017. Deadline for submissions: 24 March 2017.
- Annual Conference of the European Consortium for Sociological Research (ECSR2017), Milan, Italy, 31 August-2 September 2017. Deadline for submissions: 1 April 2017.
- 11th World Congress on Adolescent Health: Investing in Adolescent Health - the Future is Now, New Delhi, India, 27-29 October 2017. Deadline for submissions: 12 April 2017.
- International Conference on Partner Relationships, Residential Relocations and Housing in the Life Course, Cologne, Germany, 27-29 July 2017. Deadline for submissions: 20 April 2017.
- Transnational Families and Divorce: revisiting marital break-up in times of global (im)mobilities, Nijmegen, Netherlands, 27-29 September 2017. Deadline for submissions: 30 April 2017.
- 15th Meeting of the European Network for the Sociological and Demographic Study of Divorce, Antwerp, Belgium, 5-7 October 2017. Deadline for submissions: 1 May 2017
- Workshop on OBOR Strategy and Its Implications for International Migration and Socio-ecological Changes, Shanghai, China, 10-11 October 2017. Deadline for submissions : 1 May 2017.
- Workshop on (New-ish) Methods and Data for Exploring Group Inequalities, Bath, United Kingdom, 19-20 October 2017. Deadline for submissions: 15 May 2017.
- Summer School on Demography, Human Capital and Economic Growth. ADRI, Shanghai University, Shanghai, China, 19-23 June 2017. Deadline for applications: 24 March 2017
- Oxford NCRM Summer School: An introduction to combining social science and molecular genetic research, 26-30 June 2017, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, United Kingdom. Deadline for applications: 30 March 2017.
- Training course on Multistate Models. MPIDR, Rostock, Germany, 22-26 May 2017. Deadline for applications: 31 March 2017.
- Advanced course on Visualizing Data. MPIDR, Rostock, Germany, 19-23 June 2017. Deadline for applications: 31 March 2017.
- Training Course on Smoothing Demographic Data: Flexible Models in Population Studies. MPIDR, Rostock, Germany, 12-16 June 2017. Deadline for applications: 31 March 2017.
- Research course: Adding the Geographic Context to Demographic Analysis. Lund University, Lund, Sweden, 11-15 September 2017. Deadline for applications: 15 April 2017
- EUDAT Summer School on Data Intensive Science and Data Management, Heraklion, Crete, 3-7 July 2017. Deadline for applications: 17 April 2017.
- IUSSP Training Workshop on Social Media and Demographic Methods at the 2017 PAA, Chicago, United States, 26 April 2017. Deadline for applications: 24 April 2017.
- Introduction to Applied Data Analysis. U.S. Census Bureau International Workshop, Washington DC, United States, 12-16 June 2017. Deadline for applications: 28 April 2017.
- Preparing for CAPI Operations. U.S. Census Bureau International Workshop, Washington DC, United States, 26–30 June 2017. Deadline for applications: 12 May 2017.
- Formation régionale en genre. ISSP, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, 12-23 June 2017. Deadline for applications: 29 May 2017
- Associate Professorship of Social Demography, Nuffield College, Oxford, United Kingdom. Deadline for Applications: 13 Apr 2017.
Research grants/fellowship/post docs
- PhD position at PRDH (Programme de recherche en démographie historique), Université de Montréal, Canada. Deadline for application: 31 March 2017.
- Postdoctoral researcher in Life-course studies, Tallinn University, Estonia. Deadline for applications: 17 April 2017.
- Four post-doctoral positions, Carlos III University of Madrid, Spain. Deadline for applications: 20 April 2017.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship – 2017/2018. University of Witwatersrand. Deadline for applications: 1 May 2017.
- Doctoral students at the French Institute for Demographic Studies (INED), Paris, France. Deadline for applications: 2 May 2017.
Forthcoming IUSSP meetings & events
- IUSSP Seminar on Mortality Analysis and Forecasting, New Delhi, India, 6-7 Apr 2017.
- IUSSP Workshop on Subjective Well-being and Demography at the 2017 PAA, Chicago, United States, 26 Apr 2017.
- IUSSP Training Workshop on Social Media and Demographic Methods at the 2017 PAA, Chicago, United States, 26 Apr 2017.
- IUSSP Workshop on Social Media and Demographic Research: Applications and Implications, Montreal, Canada, 15 May 2017.
- Workshop on Climate, Migration and Health - with a focus on refugee movements, Boulder (Colorado), United States, 25-26 May 2017.
- IUSSP Seminar on Urban Health Transformations. Cambridge, United Kingdom, 11-12 Jul 2017.
- International Population Conference, Cape Town, South Africa, 29 Oct-4 Nov 2017.
- IUSSP Seminar on Pandemics: Reflections on the Centennial of the 1918 Spanish Influenza Virus, Madrid, Spain, 27-29 November 2017.
Other forthcoming conferences
- RC28 Spring Meeting 2017, Cologne, Germany, 30 Mar-1 Apr 2017.
- Tutorial on Digital Demography at the 26th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2017), Perth, Australia, 3-4 Apr 2017.
- XVIII April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development, Moscow, Russia, 11-14 Apr 2017.
- 2017 PAA Annual Meeting, Chicago, United States, 27-29 Apr 2017.
- Similarities and peculiarities on the way to longer life in human populations. The 4th Human Mortality Database Symposium, Berlin, Germany, 22-23 May 2017.
- 25th Annual Postgraduate Population Studies Conference, Stockholm, Sweden, 31 May-2 Jun 2017.
- International Conference. Ageing under lowest-low fertility and high emigration. The demography, the politics and the socio-economic challenges. Warsaw, Poland, 5-7 Jun 2017.
- 4th Annual International Conference on Demography and Population Studies, Athens, Greece, 12-15 Jun 2017.
- Nordic Demographic Symposium 2017, Turku (Åbo), Finland, 14-16 Jun 2017.
- EAPS Health, Morbidity, and Mortality workshop on the theme of "Historical and contemporary trends in morbidity and mortality", Novosibirsk, Russia, 19-21 Jul 2017.
- Annual Conference of the European Consortium for Sociological Research (ECSR2017). Milan Italy, 31 Aug-2 Sep 2017.
- International conference: Transnational families and divorce: revisiting marital break-up in times of global (im)mobilities. Nijmegen, Netherlands, 27-29 Sep 2017.
- 15th Meeting of the European Network for the Sociological and Demographic Study of Divorce. Antwerp, Belgium, 5-7 Oct 2017.
- Workshop on OBOR Strategy and Its Implications for International Migration and Socio-ecological Changes. Shanghai, China, 10-11 Oct 2017.
- SLLS Annual International Conference. Multidisciplinary Collaboration in Longitudinal and Lifecourse Research. Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom, 11-13 Oct 2017.
- II International Congress - Cities through History: Society. Guimarães, Portugal, 18-20 Oct 2017.
- 11th World Congress on Adolescent Health: Investing in Adolescent Health - the Future is Now. New Delhi, India, 27-29 Oct 2017.
- European Population Conference 2018, Brussels, Belgium, 6-9 Jun 2018.
Submit your announcementsFeel free to share news from your institution and region so that we can keep all IUSSP members informed about recent or forthcoming events and opportunities in the population field. IUSSP members are welcome to submit information on conferences, job openings, post-doctoral positions, and research grants for inclusion in the newsletter and IUSSP website. Please send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to include important dates for application deadlines (and photos when appropriate). Information should be sent by email or in a Word document so that it can be edited. For inclusion in the next Bulletin, please send information by 1 June 2017. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
IUSSP Bulletin / Bulletin de l’UIESP
Publication Director: Mary Ellen Zuppan, IUSSP Executive Director