In this issue: IPC2021 will take on a new form ● IUSSP Webinar Series - Reaching members across the globe ● Digital approaches & COVID-19 ● COVID-19 mortality in Latin America ● Consequences of COVID-19 for adolescents ● COVID-19 and SRH in Africa ● Call for 2021 IUSSP Laureate ● News from the members ● Regional population associations ● Other announcements ● N-IUSSP ● Calls for papers ● Training opportunities ● Job opportunities ● Calendar
International Population Conference
IPC2021 will take on a new form
Due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the organizers have decided that IPC 2021 will be a virtual/hybrid conference. IPC 2021 will keep its initial dates, 5-10 December 2021, but the deadline for the Call for Papers has been extended to 15 May 2021.
IUSSP Webinar Series
Reaching members across the globe
The IUSSP Webinar Series launched in May 2020 to reach out to members during the COVID-19 related lockdowns has proved an excellent way to reach a broad and geographically dispersed audience.
Digital approaches & COVID-19
Emilio Zagheni, Chair of the IUSSP Panel on Digital Demography, organized a series of 7 lightning talks on "Digital and computational approaches to study determinants and consequences of the spread of COVID-19", which took place on 8 July 2020.
COVID-19 mortality in Latin America
Everton Lima presented data collection and analysis he and colleagues in Latin America have been working on to quantify COVID-19 related excess mortality in Latin America.
The consequences of COVID-19 for adolescents
Shireen Jejeebhoy, IUSSP Vice President, Léticia Marteleto, Joyce Mumah and K.G. Santhya discussed the potential impacts of COVID-19 on adolescents drawing on preliminary survey data from India, Brazil and countries in Africa. The webinar took place on 29 July 2020.
COVID-19 and SRH in Africa
IUSSP hosted a member-initiated webinar organized by Clifford Odimegwu, University of the Witwatersrand (South Africa), on "The COVID-19 Pandemic and Sexual & Reproductive Health in Africa". This four-day webinar took place between 31 August to 3 September 2020.
Call for 2021 IUSSP Laureate
Would you like to honour a colleague for their decisive contribution to the advancement of demography and population research? Do not hesitate to round up support and propose a nomination for the 2021 IUSSP Laureate award. Deadline: 1 November 2020.
News from the members
Members' new publications
- Migration from the Newly Independent States. 25 Years After the Collapse of the USSR, edited by Mikhail Denisenko, Salvatore Strozza, and Matthew Light.
- Comparative Demography of the Syrian Diaspora: European and Middle Eastern Destinations, edited by Elwood D. Carlson, and Nathalie E. Williams.
New IUSSP members
Seven new members and 14 new Student Associates joined the IUSSP between 1 June 2020 and 1 September 2020.
It is with great sadness that we announce that Brígida Garcia, a longtime member of the IUSSP, passed away on 18 September. A professor and researcher at El Colegio de México since 1971, she had served as a member and then a co-chair of the IUSSP Committee on Gender and Population.
Regional population associations
PAA 2021 annual meeting & webinars
The PAA 2021 Annual Meeting will likely include a combination of virtual and in-person sessions. The latter will be held in St-Louis, Missouri, 5-8 May 2021. The deadline to submit papers to the call is 25 September. PAA is also organizing a webinar on 29 September on the Demographics of Racial Violence.
5th APA conference & webinars
The 5th Asian Population Association Conference has been postponed to 2021 and will take the form of a virtual conference. APA will hold a webinar on 30 September 2020 on “COVID-19 and the migrants in Asia”. Deadline to register is 25 September 2020.
2020 ALAP virtual conference
The Latin American Population Association (ALAP) Conference will take place as a virtual conference from 9 to 11 December 2020. The IUSSP will have a virtual booth and organize a pre-session on IPC2021, a session on PhD training in demography and a roundtable on demographic research with web and social media data.
International Science Council
IUSSP is a member of the International Science Council, which organizes a range of activities bringing together interdisciplinary panels of scientists on scientific issues, many of which are of interest to demographers and population scientists. Here are a list and description of upcoming activities that are open to members and broader networks.
- Comparing mortality variability between the United States and peer countries, Justin M. Vinneau, Richard Rogers, Robert A. Hummer, Elizabeth M. Lawrence
- The spatial integration of immigrants in Europe, Daniel t. Lichter, Domenico Parisi, Shrinidhi Ambinakudige
- Frontline workers in the U.S.: race, ethnicity, and gender, Lily Casura, Ricardo Lowe, Jr, Cristina Martinez, Sarah Serpas, Victoria Castellanos, Joachim Singelmann
- Does information change attitudes toward immigrants?, Alexis Grigorieff, Christopher Roth, Diego Ubfal
- Is support between parents and adult children reciprocal?, Hans Hämäläinen, Bruno Arpino
- Putting mobile phones in women’s hands spurs sustainable development, Francesco Billari, Ridhi Kashyap, Luca Maria Pesando, Valentina Rotondi, Jenny Trinitapoli
- Opposites attract. Unions between majority natives and marriage migrants in Sweden, Annika Elwert
- More children linked to lower mortality in contemporary Norway, with exceptions, Øystein Kravdal
IUSSP Calls for Papers
- International Conference on Family and Fertility
Virtual conference, 3-5 December 2020
Deadline for submission of abstracts: 31 October 2020
- Call for sessions / posters FAIR Conference (30 Sept / 31 Oct)
- GENUS Thematic Series on The Demography of COVID-19
Deadline for submissions: 30 September 2020
- Call for papers for a collective book on COVID-19 in West Africa
Deadline for submissions: 5 October 2020
- Journal of Demography Africa (JDA). Call for papers: Education-Health-Gender Equality-Economic Development-Population
Deadline for submissions: 30 November 2020
- Request for proposals: Russell Sage Foundation "Pipeline Grants Competition" on economic mobility (and barriers) in the U.S. Deadline for Applications: 4 November 2020.
Doctoral / Post-Doctoral Positions
- National University of Singapore. Postdoctoral Fellow for the research project on Southeast Asian Family Dynamic Study. Deadline for applications:30 September 2020.
- Post Doctoral Fellowships. Centre for Demographic Research (DEMO), Belgium.Deadline for applications: 1 October 2020.
- Postdoctoral researcher in international migration - sociology/political science/quantitative methods. Deadline for applications: 5 October 2020.
- PhD studentship to work as part of the ERC project: A Better Life for the Children of Exile: Intergenerational Adaptation of the Descendants of Refugees. Deadline for applications: 12 October 2020.
- Two 3-year postdoctoral positions within the ERC-project "Sexual Minorities and Inequality of Opportunity” (HEALIN).Deadline for applications: 1 November 2020.
- CFPR PhD Research Scholarship opportunity. National University of Singapore. Deadline for applications: 1 November 2020.
- Postdoctoral position in the computational modeling of COVID-19. INSERM, France. Deadline for applications: 31 December 2020.
Training Courses or Workshops
- Five-day intensive online course on "Topics in Digital and Computational Demography" (MPIDR). Deadline for applications: 9 October 2020.
- London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM). 50th cohort of students MSc Demography and Health. Deadline for applications: 31 December 2020.
Forthcoming IUSSP meetings & other events
- PAA Webinar: Demographics of Racial Violence. Webinar, 29 September 2020
- Webinar. Learn how to boost phone survey response rates with tips from IDinsight, 30 September 2020.
- IUSSP Webinar on the "Priorities in research on international migration and mobilities: Implications of the COVID pandemic and its legacies", 22 October 2020.
- Wittgenstein Centre Conference 2020 on the Demographic Aspects of the COVID-19 Pandemic and its Consequences. Vienna, Austria, 30 November-1 December 2020.
- International FAIR Convergence Symposium 2020 (online), 30 November-4 December 2020.
- International Conference on Family and Fertility (Online), 3-5 December 2020.
- 2020 ALAP International Conference (Virtual), 9-11 December 2020.
- 5th Asian Population Association Conference (postponed to 2021).
- IUSSP Seminar on Unintended pregnancy and key outcomes—abortion and unplanned births (postponed to 2021).
- Sixth International Conference on Family Planning. Pattaya City, Thailand, 8-11 November 2021.
- 2021 International Population Conference (IPC2021). Hyderabad, India, 5-10 December 2021.
Submit your announcementsFeel free to share news from your institution and region so that we can keep all IUSSP members informed about recent or forthcoming events and opportunities in the population field. IUSSP members are welcome to submit information on conferences, job openings, post-doctoral positions, and research grants for inclusion in the newsletter and IUSSP website. Please send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to include important dates for application deadlines (and photos when appropriate). Information should be sent by email or in a Word document so that it can be edited. For inclusion in the next Bulletin, please send information by 1 December 2020. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
IUSSP Bulletin / Bulletin de l’UIESP
Publication Director: Mary Ellen Zuppan, IUSSP Executive Director